What's new

Keanu Reeves Says He Never Played Cyberpunk 2077 Despite CD Projekt's Earlier Claims

Cyberpunk 2077 star Keanu Reeves says he's never actually played Cyberpunk, despite previous confirmation from CD Projekt itself that he loved playing the game.

During an interview with The Verge for The Matrix Awakens, Reeves was asked if he played video games at all. He responded that he did not. When asked about Cyberpunk, Reeves said, "no, I mean I've seen demonstrations, but I've never played it."

Last year, during a CD Projekt earnings call, CD Projekt President and Joint CEO Adam Kiciński said Reeves had been playing Cyberpunk 2077. According to a transcript of the meeting from Seeking Alpha, Kiciński said Reeves, "played the game and he loves it."

Reeves stars in Cyberpunk 2077 as Johnny Silverhand, who is with the main character for most of the story. The actor was a big part of the promotion for the game, including his on-stage appearance at E3 2019.

Of course, after the unprecedented amount of hype, Cyberpunk had a disastrous launch, and CD Projekt is still working to fix the game, recently announcing that all Cyberpunk 2077 updates are delayed to 2022. There are also lawsuits against CD Projekt from the studio's investors, who are upset about the misleading promises about Cyberpunk 2077's quality. CD Projekt has also promised to be more careful about hyping its games ahead of release.

IGN has reached out to CDPR for comment on this story, and we'll update this article when we hear back.

The Matrix Awakens is a new Unreal Engine 5 experience revealed by Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss last week at The Game Awards. It's a first look at what Unreal Engine 5 can pull off on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S through a gameplay demo that takes place in the world of The Matrix. In our impressions of The Matrix Awakens experience, we said, "the technology on display is truly impressive."

In the same interview, Reeves said he thinks "it's nice" that people tried to mod Cyberpunk 2077 so they could have sex with his character.

Logan Plant is a freelance writer for IGN. You can find him on Twitter @LoganJPlant.

Continue reading...