What's new

Cyberpunk 2077 Now Features the Sad Keanu Reeves Meme

CD Projekt Red has added the infamous sad Keanu Reeves meme to Cyberpunk 2077 with Update 2.1's new metro system.

Reddit users including aks31 posted images of the reference, which throws back to the 2010 photo in which Reeves was photographed by paparazzi while eating a sandwich alone on a bench, looking down at a bird.

Keanu Reeves addresses the ‘Sad Keanu’ meme: “I was thinking. I had some stuff going on. I was hungry.”

(https://t.co/WXNU1Dy0VH) pic.twitter.com/mca6JjmPOV

— Film Updates (@FilmUpdates) December 17, 2021

Cyberpunk 2077 recreates the scene exactly with Johnny Silverhand, famously played by Reeves, during a scene players can occasionally encounter while riding the metro system. As long as players don't use the metro to fast travel but instead sit and wait for added immersion, there's a chance the scene will materialise.

In it, Johnny sits on the opposite side of the metro carriage while holding a hot dog in his silver hand, and looks down upon some paper birds that a Night City resident has left. "Even has the birds, cup, and hot dog," Reddit user Prime_Addonexus posted excitedly.

"Johnny isn't sad, he's just hungry," said aks31, referencing Reeves own explanation for the original photo, in which he said: "I had some stuff going on. I was hungry." Reddit user Home_Productions was very excited too. "They did the thing," they said.

Update 2.1 adds a lot more than this, of course, as CD Projekt Red also brought the long-requested metro feature itself, plus new motorbike mechanics, romantic partner hangouts, and much more. The full patch notes were shared ahead of its release on December 5, the same day the Ultimate Edition of Cyberpunk 2077 was released.

This will be the final big update in Cyberpunk 2077's long and troubled history, though comes after CD Projekt Red won back the love of its fans following the game's messy launch.

Image Credit: aks31 on Reddit.

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelance reporter. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...