What's new

Gaming News

Everyone can post news here.The news posted here could be anything from gaming to world news.This section will be monitored fairly heavily.
The cloaked one, Xûr, is now live in Destiny 2 for the weekend until next week's reset. If you're looking to get your some shiny new Exotic armor or weapons for your Guardian, look no further.Each week, Xûr has a random assortment of Exotic armor, one for each Guardian class, as well as a random Exotic Weapon and an Exotic Engram available for purchase. In addition to his Exotic wares, he's got a random collection of Legendary weapons and armor to deck out your Guardians.We've rounded up all the info on Xûr for the week including where to find Xûr, which Exotic weapons and armor are available, as well as which Legendary weapons you should pick up, either for PvE or PvP.Where Is Xûr Located Today?Xûr's location can be found at...
In the days before Diablo 4's launch, the leadership team at Blizzard was already all too excited to discuss the endgame and imminent live-service future for their ARPG, which dives into the GaaS model for the first time.Currently in their pre-season phase, Blizzard has mostly been hesitant to discuss what's next with the fires of Hell still burning so fresh, but with teams already hard at work on seasonal content and full expansions, we sat down to talk to Rod Fergusson, the general manager of Diablo, and Zaven Haroutunian, associate game director for Diablo, about their vision for Diablo's endless grind.IGN: Diablo 3 sort of straddled the fence between being a live-service: It had seasons, but no regular content drops, which it...
Some PlayStation 5 players who purchased deluxe versions of Diablo 4 are still unable to play the game thanks to a persistent "invalid licence" error.“We are seeing reports regarding PlayStation users experiencing Invalid License errors,” read a tweet from the official Diablo account. “The team is looking into this right now and will update once we have more information.”Diablo 4’s early access period began on June 1 at 4pm Pacific for those who had purchased the $89.99 Digital Deluxe Edition, or the $99.99 Ultimate Edition of the game, but some PlayStation gamers were met with an “unable to find a valid license for Diablo IV” error."$140 (Canadian) dollars for a game to play early,” read a post from Twitter user @courtlalonde...
Trapped in a hell he helped make, a lone hacker aboard a space station far from home sneaks and fights his way through horrible mutants and killer robots in order to take down the monstrous artificial intelligence behind it all: SHODAN, one of the all-time great gaming villains. System Shock pioneered so many first-person shooter concepts back in 1994 that now feel fundamental, simultaneously paving the way for the entire immersive sim genre. Nightdive Studios has done masterful work with this 2023 remake, taking a fantastic game that the years have made hard to play and updating it with modern conveniences that will let it be enjoyed for decades to come.Nominally a shooter, System Shock is more about exploring the labyrinth that is...
Thank your own personal deity, it's Friday. The mid-year / end of financial year sales have heated up again this morning. I've spotted a whole bunch of triple A titles that have gotten the chop. It's also a damn fine time to secure keyboards and controllers too. Stop reading this intro. Go get the deals before they're goneski!This Day in GamingAussie birthdays for notable games.This Day in Gaming- The Legend of Zelda (GBA) 2004.- Tekken 7 (PS4, XO) 2017.Table of ContentsNintendo Switch PC Xbox PlayStationNice Savings for Nintendo SwitchExpiring Deals From YesterdayHardware WatchHow much to make the switch to Switch?Back to topPurchase Cheaply for PCExpiring Deals From YesterdayHardware WatchSlay...
If you are a hardcore Starship Troopers fan, chances are I’ve already served with you on the front lines of Valaka in the early days of Starship Troopers: Extermination’s early access launch. For those of us who know who Casper Van Dien is, the long grind, very limited objectives and mission types, and old-school shooting were never going to deter us from doing our part, because working together as a team to blast enormous waves of bugs while building a base and then high-tailing it to safety has a powerful draw. But for those who don’t, there may not be much reason to drop in just yet.Decades after the events of Paul Veerhoven’s cult sci-fi classic Starship Troopers, the arachnid threat still looms large and threatens the safety of...
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor may have been a bit tough for some players.EA has released some interesting statistics from the recent Star Wars action game, that seems to confirm that more players lowered the game’s difficulty than raised it.The default difficulty, Jedi Knight, was the most popular, played by 52.5% of players. Meanwhile, Story Mode and Jedi Padawan made up 29.5% of the player numbers combined. The harder difficulties, Jedi Master and Jedi Grand Master were much more rare, making for a combined total of just 18%.Only 4% of players played Star Wars Jedi: Survivor on its hardest difficulty.Hilariously, 489 players were defeated by Rick the Door Technician – a sort-of boss that appears early in the game who is felled...
The third annual Meta Quest Gaming Showcase has arrived, and it provided an overview of some games that are arriving in the Meta Quest 2 and Pro, and the recently-announced Meta Quest 3, which arrives this Fall for $499.99.If you missed the showcase, don't worry; here's everything announced at today's showcase.Assassin's Creed VR is Officially Named Assassin's Creed Nexus VRAssassin's Creed VR has been renamed Assassin's Creed Nexus VR, and it will launch later this year for Meta Quest VR headsets. Ubisoft announced this project back in 2021, and while we did not get much in the form of information outside of the new subtitle for this VR Assasin's Creed game, we can get a full reveal of Nexus VR later this month at Ubisoft...
Assassin's Creed VR has been renamed Assassin's Creed Nexus VR, and it will launch later this year for Meta Quest VR headsets.Announced at the Meta Quest Games Showcase, Assassin's Creed Nexus VR is the first game in the Assassin's Creed franchise to be playable in virtual reality. Originally announced in a blog post in 2021, Assassin's Creed Nexus was one of two VR games Ubisoft announced were in development for the Meta Quest VR headset along with Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell VR. However, it seems only Assassin's Creed Nexus VR will see a release, as Axios reporter Stephen Totilo reported last year that Ubisoft canceled the development of Splinter Cell VR (along with three other games).Ubisoft previously confirmed in the blog post...
Developer Czech Perun Creative has announced Kromlech, a new action-adventure RPG with action-adventure elements that's in development for PC. No release date has been announced as of yet. It's not every day that a game is announced with a live-action trailer, but Kromlech has done just that, and you can check out that trailer above. A first batch of concept art is available in the gallery below.Kromlech is set in a fictional world inspired by the early Iron Age Celts, among other cultures. Gameplay-wise, the developers are promising "brutal combat, challenge-based leveling, action-driven player decisions, an immersive world, no copy-paste enemies, roguelite elements," and more.Story-wise, the developers describe Kromlech as such...
When it launched in 2019, All Elite Wrestling emerged as an alternative to the mainstream of Professional Wrestling – a genre of sports entertainment that had mostly run without substantial competition in the US for decades. Its upcoming game, AEW Fight Forever, largely finds itself in the same position. It’s an arcadey and old school alternative to the more realistic and simulation focused WWE 2K series, and on that front, it succeeds at what it sets out to do. Based on about two hours of playtime with a pre-release build, Fight Forever is the kind of simple pick-up-and-play fun that wrestling games used to be, even if it is a bit rough around the edges.I got to play Fight Forever at Gamescom last year as well, which you can read...
Arkane Studios' development of Redfall was reportedly so troubled that its developers hoped Microsoft would cancel the game after acquiring the company in 2020.Bloomberg released a report having spoken to several anonymous sources familiar with Redfall's development after it launched last month to poor reviews and significant technical issues. These sources claimed Redfall struggled with a misguided vision, staffing issues, and more.Things allegedly became so bad at Arkane that, despite having put two years into Redfall at the time of the Xbox acquisition, staff wished it would be rebooted as a single player game or cancelled altogether.The switch to a multiplayer focus, which was reportedly pushed for by parent company ZeniMax...
It’s truly bizarre that across the nearly 30 years of Warhammer video games, we haven’t had a single one that attempted to channel the tabletop Warhammer experience by utilizing the genre that feels best suited to do so: CRPGs. But that’s all about to change, as Pathfinder developer Owlcats has been cooking up something to fill this void. During an extensive hands-off demo of Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader, I checked out its extremely chunky turn-based combat system, drowned in its plethora of dialogue options and social skill checks, and nodded approvingly at its lovingly faithful depiction of Warhammer’s morbid universe. While it’s still very early, so far this CRPG is shaping up to be everything I’ve wanted from a Warhammer video game...
The confusing, violent, and cataclysmic events we know today as the Bronze Age Collapse shook the Mediterranean 3200 years ago, which is roughly how long it feels like it's been since we last had a main series historical Total War game. But much as Ramesses III led Egypt out of this dark era, Creative Assembly's Sofia studio (which most recently released the semi-mythological A Total War Saga: Troy) brings us Total War: Pharaoh. The mysterious Sea Peoples are coming, and as a variety of competing leaders from the Egyptian, Hittite, and Canaanite cultures, it will be up to us to weather the storm.While we haven't gotten to see the campaign map yet, I was able to get a few details on it. We'll fight over the Nile Valley as far South as...
Fans are questioning the priorities of Alan Wake developer Remedy Entertainment after it revealed plans to sell a real-world version of the game's collectible thermos despite not making a physical version of the actual sequel.“Good things, like good coffee, take time,” read a tweet from the official Alan Wake 2 account (below). “Airam and Remedy Entertainment, two Finnish household names, have collaborated to bring you the official Oh Deer Diner thermos. Completely true to the thermos bottle found in the game.”The thermos, which is set to go on sale sometime later this year, is based on one of the 100 Deer Diner thermos collectibles that players can hunt down throughout Alan Wake’s six episode story. However, fans of the series...
It is time—the month when bargain hunters bust out their very best scopes and shopping tactics. Welcome to the start of the Mid-Year Clearance Sales, also known by me and nobody else as EOFY-palooza. Follow my lead, shrewd and patient purchaser, and we'll expertly stalk, sight and pull the trigger on nothing but trophy bucks. Let's get right to it.This Day in GamingAussie birthdays for notable games.- Indy and the Fate of Atlantis (PC) 1992. Get- Monster Hunter (PS2) 2005.- Half-Life 2: Episode One (PC) 2006. Get- Tourist Trophy (PS2) 2006.- This War of Mine (PC) 2016. (-78%)Table of ContentsNintendo Switch PC Xbox PlayStationNice Savings for Nintendo SwitchExpiring Deals From YesterdayHardware WatchHow much...
Diablo Franchise General Manager and old friend of Unlocked Rod Fergusson joins the show this week to celebrate the launch of Diablo 4. Rod talks about the challenges of joining Blizzard mere days before the COVID-19 pandemic, why he left Gears of War behind after 15 years, which Diablo 4 class he'll be playing first, and much more!Subscribe on any of your favorite podcast feeds, to our YouTube channel, or grab an MP3 of this week's episode. For more awesome content, check out our interview with Todd Howard, who answered all of our Starfield questions after the big reveal at the Xbox Showcase:For more next-gen coverage, make sure to check out our Xbox Series X review, our Xbox Series S review, and our PS5 review.Ryan McCaffrey...
As some may know, May is Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month in the United States. Although Asian Americans make up a little over seven percent of the United States population, Asian American is a diverse term encompassing Asian Americans from all kinds of cultures from over 24 countries, and that’s only including the ones officially counted by the United States census.The history behind the term “Asian American” is complicated, and doesn’t do justice to such a diverse and varied group of people. But in the centuries since Asian immigrants first arrived in the United States, people from numerous countries have left an indelible mark on American culture.If this list is short, that's because Asian American art is still...
The PlayStation Plus Game Lineup for June 2023 has been revealed, with NBA 2K23, Trek to Yomi, and Jurassic World Evolution 2 joining the subscription service early next month.All three games will be available to download on both PS4 and PS5 consoles from June 6 up until July 3 at no extra charge for individuals with PlayStation Plus Essential, Extra or Premium subscriptions.NBA 2K23NBA 2K23’s released back in September 2022, bringing with it a slew of online and single player game modes, including the reintroduction of the Jordan Challenge, which tasks fans with recreating 15 moments from the iconic player’s illustrious career. PlayStation Plus subscribers also get access to "exclusive monthly MyTEAM packs", according to the...
Brian Holinka, lead combat designer for World of Warcraft, has announced that he is leaving Blizzard to join Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street in forming a new game studio.The former World of Warcraft developer made the announcement on Twitter yesterday, saying he's leaving Blizzard on Friday after working with Team 2 for nearly 11 years. This comes over two months after Street, former executive producer of the upcoming League of Legends MMO, stepped down from Riot Games and the game due to personal reasons."After nearly 11 years, Friday will be my last day on World of Warcraft and at Blizzard," Holinka wrote in his Twitter thread. "I'm excited to spend time off with my family this summer, after which, I'll begin a new adventure with my...
Fans think that Microsoft and Xbox are teasing some Fable news at its upcoming Xbox Games showcase next month.On Xbox’s official Twitter account, a video was posted showing a person’s Xbox controller covered in glitter. Then it's revealed that the glitter forms a trail that leads to a screen that shows the Xbox Games Showcase logo with the caption, “seems important.”In the Fable games, a glitter trail guided players to their next destination on a mission. So this trail of glitter implies that the Fable reboot will appear at the Xbox Games Showcase. The game is being developed by Forza Horizon developer Playground Games.The Fable reboot was first announced back in 2020 for Xbox Series X and PC. In the meantime, we’ve learned that...
I love first-person shooters. Always have. Always will. And in particular I love single-player first-person shooters. Mix a compelling narrative in with some great set pieces and repeatable fun gameplay that makes me feel powerful in some way and I’m all-in. I also love something that feels fresh and new, which is harder to come by in this expensive-to-build, risk-averse genre. That’s why I was intrigued to spend a few hours playing Immortals of Aveum, whose Mad Libs-sounding name belies a great idea I haven’t seen in an FPS in a while: it has zero guns in it. By now you’ve already seen that magic takes its place. It’s a smart choice that allows plenty of depth and variety between its three magic types, and the result thus far is a game...
Last week’s PlayStation Showcase had a ton of exciting reveals. A remake of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, new details on Assassin’s Creed Mirage, another killer glimpse at Alan Wake 2… But there was also one glaring flaw a lot of people have since pointed out: There weren't a whole lot of PlayStation exclusives on show, and that is great news for Xbox.Another Gran Turismo movie trailer, PlayStation earbuds, and CGI concepts for many of the new PlayStation exclusives meant fans were left underwhelmed. Worse, some of those CGI concepts didn’t even do a good job of teasing what you can expect from the full game. Sorry FairGame$, but what is this game exactly?There’s always a lot of hype ahead of a showcase and while PlayStation...
Metal Gear Solid 3: Remake (officially Metal Gear Solid Δ: Snake Eater) will reportedly feature the 2004 game's original voice acting.As reported by The Verge, Konami's head of communications for the Americas Tommy Williams said the remake will feature the original game's dialogue with no changes despite being released close to two decades ago.The status of the remake's voice acting was up in the air due to unclear wording from Konami, who said alongside the announcement last week that it will "star the original voice characters".This also means that David Hayter, who voiced Snake in nine different Metal Gear games before being passed over for Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, will sort of make his return to the franchise...
Venture to the Vile clicked with me the first time I switched layers to solve a puzzle. I was trying to get to a lever that would open a door farther in, but there wasn’t a lever in the area I hadn’t pressed, and none of the ones I had opened the door. Then I remembered that one of them had extended a bridge to an area in the background. So I walked back to the bridge, shifted to the layer in the background, worked my way to the lever, and bingo: one open door. I love it when a plan comes together.Venture to the Vile is a 2D Metroidvania with a twist. It's set in a 3D world, and you can switch between areas in the foreground and background as long as you find a path to get you there. See something cool? You can probably go there...
CD Projekt Red will lay off around 30 more employees by the end of 2023 as development on Gwent: The Witcher Card Game winds down.Revealed in a blog post on Gwent's website, CD Projekt Red confirmed that "about 30 remaining Gwent team members are going to part ways" with the studio.This contradicts a statement from December when the developer told IGN that a small number of employees would be kept on to keep the game running while the remaining staff would be moved to other projects at CD Projekt Red.A spokesperson told IGN that four team members will be laid off in June, with CD Projekt Red gradually increasing this number throughout the year until around 30 staff have been laid off in total."It’s never easy to say goodbye,"...
Developer Giantscraft has announced Ecumene Aztec, a new first-person survival action-RPG that's in development for PC and due out in 2025.In Ecumene Aztec, you play as an Aztec trying to withstand the assault of Spanish conquistadors in your Mesoamerican city. Giantscraft promises "a strong narrative, RPG progression with blood sacrifices, gritty combat, stealth gameplay, and crafting." Take a look at the announcement trailer above and the first screenshots in the gallery below.Other gameplay features include character upgrades via blood sacrifices, three unique character classes (Jaguar Warrior, Eagle Warrior, and Snake Warrior), a climbing system, and stealth gameplay.We'll have more on Ecumene Aztec as development...
BKOM Studios and Paizo have launched a Kickstarter campaign for a co-op hack-and-slash action RPG based on the Pathfinder tabletop game.Titled Pathfinder: Abomination Vaults, the Kickstarter says this is the first-ever hack-and-slash RPG based on the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. If funded, the title is set to come to PC via Steam.Pathfinder: Abomination Vaults will support up to four players at a time, as they lead Pathfinder heroes through Gauntlight Keep in a mission to defeat the evil sorceress Belcorra Haruvex. The game will take place in a mega-dungeon beneath Gauntlight Keep that's separated into different biomes. Players can choose between four Pathfinder champions: Amiri the Barbarian, Harsk the Ranger, Kyra the Cleric, and...
Dragon Age writer David Gaider has shared his thoughts on the "lackluster" and "soulless" nature of procedurally generated AI dialogue, while also predicting failure for developers who can't forsee the technology's current limitations.“Ah, yes. The dream of procedural content generation,” tweeted Gaider in reference to a new Guardian article discussing the potential applications of AI scriptwriting in future video games. “Even BioWare went through several iterations of this: ‘what if we didn't need every conversation to be bespoke?’ Unlimited playtime with dialogue being procedurally created alongside procedural quests!”The Guardian article focused in part on a game demo called Smallville, which used an artificial intelligence...
Microsoft has announced its Xbox Games with Gold line-up for June 2023, with Adios and The Vale: Shadow of the Crown up for grabs next month.As detailed on Xbox Wire, the two Games with Gold offerings for June will be available to anyone with Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, with Adios coming up first from June 1 to June 30 and The Vale: Shadow of the Crown following between June 16 to July 15.Adios is a cinematic first-person game about sticking to a complicated moral decision. Players take on the role of a pig farmer who has decided that he no longer wants to dispose of bodies for the mob. What follows is a discussion between him and his would-be killer.After that difficult conversation, you might want to close your...