What's new

Alan Wake's Sequel Isn't Getting a Physical Version But Its Thermos Is, and Fans are Kind of Annoyed

Fans are questioning the priorities of Alan Wake developer Remedy Entertainment after it revealed plans to sell a real-world version of the game's collectible thermos despite not making a physical version of the actual sequel.

“Good things, like good coffee, take time,” read a tweet from the official Alan Wake 2 account (below). “Airam and Remedy Entertainment, two Finnish household names, have collaborated to bring you the official Oh Deer Diner thermos. Completely true to the thermos bottle found in the game.”

The thermos, which is set to go on sale sometime later this year, is based on one of the 100 Deer Diner thermos collectibles that players can hunt down throughout Alan Wake’s six episode story. However, fans of the series were quick to comment that they would rather Remedy Entertainment focussed its efforts on providing fans with a physical version of Alan Wake 2 when it launches later this year.

Good things, like good coffee, take time.

Airam and Remedy Entertainment, two Finnish household names, have collaborated to bring you the official Oh Deer Diner thermos. Completely true to the thermos bottle found in the game.

Coming fall 2023. ☕ #AlanWake pic.twitter.com/jMKqE8NUvR

— Alan Wake 2 (@alanwake) June 1, 2023

“So you made a physical Oh Deer thermos but you can’t make a physical Edition of Alan Wake 2?," commented one Twitter user. “Nice, now collaborate with THQ and release Alan Wake 2 physically,” said another.

Following Alan Wake 2’s reveal during the May PlayStation Showcase, developer Remedy Entertainment revealed that the highly anticipated sequel would only be getting a digital release to keep the price of the game below $70.

In the wake of the announcement, THQ Nordic suggested it might be interested in helping create a disc version of the game for PC, but this did little to assuage the many fans annoyed at the lack of a physical release.

“This is becoming a bad joke,” complained another fan. “We can’t even get a physical copy of the game but I can buy the thermos. You do know you’re a game manufacturer not a thermos company, right? These business practices are taking Remedy from one of my favourite gaming companies to not buying this game.”

The response wasn't all negative, however, as others showed appreciation for the light-hearted marketing move. “This is so funny and great, all we need now is a physical edition as a coaster,” commented one, while a separate fan replied “I really appreciate the commitment to the bit here. I’ll take 10”.

Image Credit: Remedy Entertainment

Anthony is a freelance contributor covering science and video gaming news for IGN. He has over eight years experience of covering breaking developments in multiple scientific fields and absolutely no time for your shenanigans. Follow him on Twitter @BeardConGa
mer

Continue reading...