What's new

The Original Life is Strange Game Had Over 20 Million Players

Developer Don’t Nod’s supernaturally-infused episodic adventure title Life is Strange has surpassed 20 million lifetime players since its launch in January 2015.

“Happy Thanksgiving everyone!” read a post from the game’s official account on X / Twitter. “Something we are very grateful for - the original Life is Strange has hit over 20 million players! We want to thank each and every one of you for playing!”

Life is Strange explores the emotionally charged and often disturbing eposodic journey of supernaturally gifted protagonist Maxine ‘Max’ Caulfield, who uses her ability to manipulate time and alter past events to unravel the secrets surrounding the Oregon townsfolk of Arcadia Bay.

“20 millions players,” said Life is Strange co-creator Michel Koch in an X post responding to the milestone. “This is crazy. Never back then, when we were creating Max and Chloe, imagining Arcadia Bay, writing their stories, never would have I dreamed 20 millions persons would meet them and spend time with them! Thanks to all of you!”

The franchise has since graced near every modern-era console under the sun, with its enduring popularity spawning multiple sequels and standalone stories. Last year also saw the release of the Life is Strange Remastered Collection (and the Arcadia Bay Collection on Switch), which included enhanced versions of the original 2015 game, and the prequel title Life is Strange: Before the Storm.

20 millions players!
This is crazy. Never back then, when we were creating Max and Chloe, imagining Arcadia Bay, writing their stories, never would have I dreamed 20 millions persons would meet them and spend time with them!
Thanks to all of you! https://t.co/MAqW9QAXz5

— Michel Koch (@DONTNOD_Michel) November 23, 2023

The most recent entry in the series, Life is Strange: True Colors, marked a departure from the franchise's usual episodic release approach, with developer Deck Nine instead opting to drop the game as a single complete title. Furthermore, it looks like any future titles developed by the studio will follow a similar release strategy.

“I can't imagine we'd go back to the episodic model,” said Life is Strange: True Colors’ senior narrative designer Philip Lawrence in an interview with Rock Paper Shotgun. “The reaction has been very positive. I think we were careful to keep that episodic structure, because that does seem to appeal to players. That's all part of the DNA of Life is Strange. As you can imagine, it was a decision that was talked about and agonised over quite a bit, but I think on reflection it was the right decision.”

As for Don't Nod, after the release of Life is Strange 2 in 2018, it released Tell Me Why, Twin Mirror, Harmony: The Fall of Reverie, and most recently the critically acclaimed action puzzle climbing game Jusant. Its next game is Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden, due out next year.

Anthony is a freelance contributor covering science and video gaming news for IGN. He has over eight years experience of covering breaking developments in multiple scientific fields and absolutely no time for your shenanigans. Follow him on Twitter @BeardConGamer

Continue reading...