What's new

The Next Like a Dragon Will Not Be Yakuza Kiwami 3, Casting Auditions to Begin Soon

Sega and Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (RGG Studio) are gearing up for a new installment in the Like a Dragon series, revealing today that the next installment will begin its cast auditions soon and and that it won't be Yakuza Kiwami 3.

In a new episode of Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio TV (spotted by Gematsu), Like a Dragon series director Masayoshi Yokoyama announced that it would be holding cast auditions for the next game and though it does not have a title yet, Yokoyama did reveal that the next game would not be Yakuza Kiwami 3.

"It's interesting, new work. It's strange for me to say that, but it's probably better to deny it properly since it's been written so much, but it's not 'Kiwami 3'," Yokoyama explained as transcribed by GamesTalk. "I'll just say that I think I'll do Kiwami 3 at some point. I'm sure I'll do it someday."

RGG Studio is holding cast auditions for a new Like a Dragon game, which is nothing new. As Gematsu pointed out, the developer also held auditions for people to appear in the 2023 spin-off Like a Dragon: The Man Who Erased His Name.

Regardless of what the next entry will be titled, it very well may be the next game in the series following Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, which was released on PC, PlayStation, and Xbox in late January. Within its first week, Sega and RGG Studio announced that Infinite Wealth sold one million copies, making it the fastest-selling entry in the franchise to date. It could also be another spin-off like Like a Dragon: Ishin, but only time will tell what it is.

In our review of Like of Dragon: Infinite Wealth, my colleague Tristan Ogilvie wrote: "Sprawling, enthralling, and packed with dynamic brawling, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth isn’t just the best turn-based Like a Dragon game, it’s one of the greatest games in the entire series."

Taylor is a Reporter at IGN. You can follow her on Twitter @TayNixster.

Continue reading...