What's new

Tekken 8 Director Confirms Crossplay and Rollback Netcode

Tekken 8’s game director, Katsuhiro Harada, has confirmed that crossplay and rollback netcode will be supported by the upcoming fighting game.

Talking to fans on Twitter, Harada explained that both features will be present and correct. “Crossplay? Of course I will,” he said to one fan, while confirming to another that “Already installed [rollback netcode], and it already has what you want."

Crossplay? Of course I will.
BTW
When the previous generation consoles were released, I had already proposed crossplay between the two platformers. However, at that time, they were at odds with each other over their mutual interests (and P2P security issue) & repeatedly refused. https://t.co/I8b38YfePh

— Katsuhiro Harada (@Harada_TEKKEN) April 9, 2023

In regards to crossplay, Harada said that he actually the feature around the launch of the PS4 and Xbox One generation, but that the platform holders had prevented it being implemented.

“When the previous generation consoles were released, I had already proposed crossplay between the two platformers,” he said. “However, at that time, they were at odds with each other over their mutual interests (and P2P security issue) & repeatedly refused.”

These are features that will no doubt be welcomed by the fighting game community, but there’s still the question of when players will be able to get a taste of Tekken 8 for themselves. While wider testing is currently only being done via closed alpha testing, Harada asked that fans “please wait for the beta”, suggesting that some kind of closed or open public beta will eventually be made available.

For more on Tekken 8, check out our recent hands-on preview and trailers for Asuka Kazama, Leroy Smith, and Ling Xiaoyu.

Matt Purslow is IGN's UK News and Features Editor.

Continue reading...