What's new

Street Fighter 6 Year 1 Ultimate Pass Confusion Sparks Steam Backlash

Capcom has moved to remind Street Fighter 6 players that DLC hasn’t come out yet amid a backlash to the game’s Ultimate Pass.

The Street Fighter 6 Year 1 Ultimate Pass, which costs $49.99 / £49.99, launched alongside the game itself and now has a “Mostly Negative” user review rating on Steam.

The backlash stems from confusion about the availability of the content of the Pass itself, as well as a feeling from some that it does not include enough of the in-game currency.

The Ultimate Pass includes four additional characters (Rashid, A.K.I., Ed, Akuma), extra colours and costumes for those characters, two new stages, and 7,700 Drive Tickets.

"Really unimpressed with this cheap tactic to squeeze extra money out of people with easily misleading wording."

While the Steam page for the Pass states it includes post-launch content, some thought it would be unlocked upon purchase.

There's additional confusion about the Pass' extra colours and costumes, with some thinking they are for the launch roster of characters rather than the upcoming DLC characters.

"Don't get me wrong, I love the base game," reads one “Not Recommended” Steam review. "But now that I realise what this Ultimate Pass includes (or more so, what it doesn't include) I really regret paying out almost double what the base game cost in order to get the Ultimate version. There's a bunch of costumes and colours for the base characters, why were these not included in the Ultimate Pass? Really unimpressed with this cheap tactic to squeeze extra money out of people with easily misleading wording."

Capcom took to Twitter to clear things up: “Regarding the Year 1 Character Pass and Year 1 Ultimate Pass: the only content available at this time are the Drive Tickets.

“Additional content from the pass (characters, costumes, colors, stages) will be released sequentially at a later date.”

Regarding the Year 1 Character Pass and Year 1 Ultimate Pass: the only content available at this time are the Drive Tickets.

Additional content from the pass (characters, costumes, colors, stages) will be released sequentially at a later date.

— Street Fighter (@StreetFighter) June 4, 2023

Meanwhile, some players have complained about the number of Drive Tickets included in the Pass.

“7,700 Drive Tickets sounds like a lot on paper, but in reality, it is about enough to buy extra palettes for a single character (out of 18) and maybe some clown shoes for your avatar,” another “Not Recommended” Steam review reads.

“It almost feels like an insulting ‘bonus’ and soured my entire mood about the pass. This bundle definitely feels like a rip-off at launch. Avoid, wait for a sale. Just buy the base game.”

Generally, Street Fighter 6 is a hit with players and critics. Capcom announced it had one million players across the launch weekend, and online play appears to be smooth.

Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. Send news tips to wesley_yinpoole@ign.com.

Continue reading...