What's new

Spider-Man Producer 'Threw a Sandwich' at Kevin Feige When He First Suggested an MCU Movie

Spider-Man: No Way Home producer Amy Pascal has admitted that she didn't initially like the suggestion of having Peter Parker join the MCU, and even "threw a sandwich" at Marvel's Kevin Feige over the idea.

During an interview with The New York Times, the Spider-Man: No Way Home producer revealed that she had called Feige for help after The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but ended up lobbing a sandwich at the Marvel boss after he suggested the best solution was to introduce Spidey to his MCU.

“I called Kevin and said, ‘Help.’ And then he came over to my office for lunch and said, ‘I know how to help you.’ And then I threw a sandwich at him.”

“She said ‘I really want you to help on this next movie. We have these great ideas for the next one. It’s amazing stuff’,” added Feige. “And I said, ‘I’m not good at that — giving advice and leaving. The only way I know how to help is if we just make the movie for you’.”

Understandably, Pascal wasn’t so keen on that idea, and threw a sandwich at him in protest. “It was a pretty low-key sandwich,” said Feige. “I don’t remember what kind. But, yes, she did not like that suggestion.”

After the critical hammering The Amazing Spider-Man 2 suffered, it’s no surprise that Sony turned to Marvel for help. At the time, it felt as though Sony didn’t know what to do with its webslinger. Thankfully, Marvel had the answer - and Pascal came round to idea when Feige gave her a more plot-filled pitch involving Iron Man.

“Kevin called me and came over to the house and said, ‘I have an idea. What if Tony Stark makes Peter’s suit?’” said Pascal.

“As soon as he said that, I understood the possibilities of what we could do together,” she added. “To have Iron Man and Spidey in the same world, one rooted more in technological innovation — the new suit — and less in medical experimentation, which is where we were confined before, felt so much more modern.”

The end result was an appearance in Captain America: Civil War, followed by Spider-Man Homecoming, which itself set the stage for a new Spider-Man trilogy, including Far From Home and the recently-released No Way Home. “It has taken a lot of work,” she added. “But just look at the results. Pretty fantastic, right?”

In the same interview, Feige and Pascal revealed that a fourth Tom Holland Spider-Man movie may already be in development.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...