What's new

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Almost Had a Glitch From Insomniac’s Miles Morales

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse almost made a popular glitch from Insomniac’s Miles Morales game canon.

During the latest episode of Sony's Creator to Creator series, makers of the animated movie and the video game chatted about their work on all things Spider-Man.

“[There were] people on our crew that were like, playing your game while they were working on the film,” said Across the Spider-Verse director Joaquim Dos Santos. “We almost put one of your guys’ glitches that made it into... Like, we almost put a heater, like a space heater, swinging through.”

Bryan Intihar, senior creative director of Marvel’s Spider-Man 2, acknowledged the glitch came from 2020's Miles Morales before mentioning Spider-Man 2’s infamous Spider-Cube bug. “Well, there’s a cube one in this game, so we fixed that,” he said.

“I think the fact that we had a crew member that brought that up and said, ‘What about if there’s like a space heater?’ Like that’s true love,” Dos Santos continued.

Miles Morales’ patio heater glitch, dubbed Spider-Lamp, did the rounds on social media back in 2020, with fans naturally finding it hilarious.

I found one in the new Spider-Man game, where I turned into a patio heater for no apparent reason. pic.twitter.com/ApChq2nB1s

— Andy H (@DoctorCuriosity) November 27, 2020

Spider-Lamp was but one of several Miles Morales glitches IGN covered at the time, with the likes of Spider-Trash and Spider-Brick also taking to the streets of New York City. Back then, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse producer Phil Lord noticed Spider-Lamp and even threatened to put it in the movie, much to Insomniac’s embarrassment.

Equally as embarrassing as it is heart-warming https://t.co/LV0xGri7hD

— Insomniac Games (@insomniacgames) November 28, 2020

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse includes a ton of references already so perhaps there just wasn’t enough room or time to squeeze in Miles Morales’ Spider-Lamp. A third film, Beyond the Spider-Verse, is currently in the works but doesn’t have a release date. Glitches from Insomniac's Spider-Man 2 could therefore make it into this one, or perhaps from other incoming Marvel games from the studio, which is also working on New Game Plus for Spider-Man 2.

Image credit: Sony

Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at wesley_yinpoole@ign.com or confidentially at wyp100@proton.me.

Continue reading...