What's new

Skryim Player Lets Twitch Chat Live Voice NPCs With Hilarious and Horrific Mod

An Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim streamer created a mod which let his Twitch chat control what the game's NPCs said in real time, with expectedly hilarious and horrifying results.

As reported by Kotaku, Twitch streamer Blurbs shared a clip from the stream on X/Twitter, below, which shared a compilation of some of the most ridiculous results. Beyond the Twitch chat's comments merely appearing on screen, the mod converts them to speech in the style of the Skyrim characters and moves their lips to match.

"I have never made a game mod before. Chat can live voice NPCs. It's gonna go horribly," Blurbs said to open the stream.

I created a Skyrim mod that allows my Twitch chat to voice in-game characters (with mouth movements/subtitles/etc) live in real-time. It went as horribly as you'd expect.

Also, if you die in the game: YOU DIE IN REAL LIFE pic.twitter.com/yTKUVnuMd8

— Blurbs (@Blurbstv) April 29, 2024

One NPC he approached was a woman in Riverwood, who in her usual voice, declared: "It's said that the lord of all dragons, Alduin, was born in 1998 when the Undertaker threw mankind off hell in a cell and plummeted 16 feet through the announcers table." A Whiterun Guard said: "Hello there. I'm brought to you by Raid: Shadow Legends." There are plenty of other examples too, many of which are quite explicit.

With The Elder Scrolls 6 still five years away at least, fans have had to find their own ways, like this, to keep the ageing Skyrim entertaining. Another player recently accrued a 267,000 gold bounty murdering 5,000 NPCs in a quest to kill "everything that was killable", for example, while one fan recreated the game in Age of Empires 2.

Looking to take immersion to the max, another player added two haptic feedback suits to their already $15,000 virtual reality setup to simulate actual pain when they're hurt in-game. And a speedrunner has now reached Level 80 and killed the infamous Ebony Warrior in under 12 minutes.

Waves of sentimental fans recently booted up their old Xbox 360s and PlayStation 3s to "retire" their original characters too, showing how much Skyrim has remained in player consciousness over its 12 years of being available.

In our 9/10 review of the beloved role playing game, IGN said: "Skyrim is a rare kind of intensely personal, deeply rewarding experience, and one of the best role-playing games yet produced."

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelance reporter. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...