What's new

Skyrim's Whiterun Being Remade With Far Cry 5 Map Editor

A dedicated Far Cry 5 player is using the game's map editor to recreate the iconic Whiterun from The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim.

YouTuber Mojo Swoptops shared a short video of their work so far, where they walk through the main street of their Whiterun recreation. Starting at the entrance to the city, they walk past The Drunken Huntsman, Warmaiden's, and Breezehome before arriving in the marketplace, where The Bannered Mare, Belethor's General Goods, and Severio Pelagia's house are all on show.

"I decided not to replicate it 1:1 and instead have some fun using some of the other interesting assets I have at my disposal," Mojo Swoptops said in the description. "So far I am happy with the progress, but nothing can match the quality and art direction of the original Bethesda product."

While it's just the main street at the moment, this Whiterun recreation will seemingly include the entire city one day. Mojo Swoptops shared the creation on Reddit too, where one user asked: "Have you built the Cloud District yet? Oh, what am I saying. Of course you haven't," a reference to the infamous Whiterun resident Nazeem. Despite the joke, Mojo Swoptops assured they were already working on this part of Whiterun and they'd share more when it was finished.

It's not the first Skyrim location Mojo Swoptops has worked to recreate either, as another video shows their rendition of the Thieves Guild's base of operations Riften.

With The Elder Scrolls 6 still five years away at least, fans have had to find their own ways, like this, to keep the ageing Skyrim entertaining. Another player recently accrued a 267,000 gold bounty murdering 5,000 NPCs in a quest to kill "everything that was killable", for example, while one fan recreated the game in Age of Empires 2.

Waves of sentimental fans recently booted up their old Xbox 360s and PlayStation 3s to "retire" their original characters too, showing how much Skyrim has remained in player consciousness over its 12 years of being available.

In our 9/10 review of the beloved RPG, IGN said: "Skyrim is a rare kind of intensely personal, deeply rewarding experience, and one of the best role-playing games yet produced."

Image Credit: Mojo Swoptops on YouTube

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelance reporter. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...