What's new

Revamping PvP and factions

Laithes

Level 47
Nov 26, 2010
Credits
I understand the siege and no siege thing cause a lot of arguments, but I now feel that we can reach a compromise. We can still have faction function in pretty much the same way as it does now, just make it so that conquering is actually possible.

Changes

Remove the defense bonus- You know the 30% damage reduction thing if you fight someone on your land, yeah I'm talking about that. This makes it so that all fights are pretty much even, nothing is going to give you difficulties in combat because of who owns the land.

Slowing down power regen- What this really does is make it so that each death stings a bit more, and gives the attackers a wider window of time to use in trying to conquer. The regen is currently .4 power per minute, I was thinking about halving that to .2 power per minute.

Increasing power lost on death- This just makes it so that each death really works towards your goals, and it helps keep bases small, because more power doesn't help you if your members drop like flies.

The power lost on death is currently 4, I was thinking of bumping it up to 8 or even 10.

This all means that it's easier to conquer a base, but multiple people in that faction have to be online, and you have to still kill them a few times. The only problem I see is encouraging the defenders to drive off the attackers. Unless you build a structure next to them that they really don't like, they're just going to not leave their base to come out and get you.

Feel free to add ideas, or come up with any solutions, or even just poke holes in my plan and let me fix them.

Cub_Nake

Level 46
Sep 29, 2010
Credits
Initially I was like, "We should keep the reduction bonus so that fighting in claimed land gives an advantage." But then I was like, "It's claimed land. You already have the advantage of traps and unbreakable blocks."

PvP should be necessary to keep land and to gain back power. This is a pvp server and every faction should be expected to PvP to survive. If you die by falling you need to kill someone to keep your power up; however, this process ends with no on having any power. This issue could be fixed by weekly/monthly power resets. By the end of each time period factions should be struggling to keep bases secure. If we don't want things to get that extreme for everyone then decrease the delay between power resets.

On another note that I'm just thinking of now (It's to do with PvP so I may as well)

I really like the idea of forced PvP arena battle which occur every hour or so with the game mode cycled each battle. Everyone on the server is teleported into an arena (maybe only the "x" largest factions to promote faction growth and merging?). Their inventories are saved and replaced with pvp kits (of their choice if we want to get busy with McMMO). Teams would be arranged as per game mode with the victors receiving prizes (money to boost the war economy?).

Laithes

Level 47
Nov 26, 2010
Credits
I don't think an incentive to PvP is the problem Cub, it's the fact that it's easier to mooch off of other people's kills, and be a pansy inside your base, rather than go out and fight whoever is sitting on your doorstep. Maybe introduce a bounty system? If I've got a 10k bounty on me, people would be more likely to come out and hit me with a sword than drop me in a lava pit. And just to make it less nooby, have it require sword or melee weapon strikes to transfer the money? No one wants to deal with those stupid hiding behind a door arrow kills.

Cub, I like pvp events, but forced PvP is the last thing I want to see, and here's why. Firstly, that just promotes more slaughter, and not base-capturing at all. Secondly, if it's every hour, and the event takes 45 minutes not counting setup, then how is anyone going to gather resources, or do anything that helps fuel the economies that run our war machines? Thirdly, unless you can build in the warzone, that leaves you to deal with whatever has been setup there, with no room to make your own improvements.

My suggestion would be to tax factions that don't participate, like 1000 coins or something. Then offer a reward like 5k for winning the tourney. This limits the economies of those that don't participate, but doesn't force them to do anything they don't want to do. And it should be a once a week deal, not every day, I mean imagine setting up even just two tourneys a day, it would give the staff permanent migraines. And if we're going to do this, we should probably have a selection of arenas to choose from, and we have some sort of random pick to see which arena the participants fight in.

J3ll0

Level 13
Jul 18, 2011
Credits
Myself, i think some very good ideas are presented here, but as they are currently stated, they seem to be somewhat biased towards factions with like 20 players.

I like laithes concepts, but they are honestly too harsh. I do completely agree that the defense bonus be removed, but the power changes should be MUCH less. 8 or 10 power loss a death is far too harsh. If someone were to make a one person faction, and build the base with the intent of inviting more people, all it takes is one lucky arrow shot sending them flying off their wall and /f claim for the faction to be over with. I think that, if changed at all, the power loss should be increased to 5 or 6, meaning 2 quick deaths puts you at 0 power. I do think that the power regen should be lowered also, i believe .2 power per minute as laithes suggested is fine.

Cub_Nake also brought up a very good idea, with some power restored upon a kill. This should be implemented so that you drain half a persons power that they lose if you kill them, except it only works with positive power that they lose. (ex. killing Jord who has 10 power, which lowers him to 4, would give me 3 power. But, killing RodGreen, who has 0 power, and thus lowering him to -6 power, gets me nothing, as he dips into the negatives.) This would really give quite an incentive to fight back in a raid on a faction, especially if they got raped tending the farm, mining, etc. Also, laithes suggested bounties, I would think that either just my plan should be implemented, draining half power a kill, laithes' plan, with huge money bounties, or a bit of both, with draining 1/3 power and bounties limited to, say, 3k.

But, this system would obviously work best if there were a few large factions, which are more resilient to wompage power-wise. As people are right now, trust is a very rare commodity, and people often only let trusted real life friends join. Many new people (and myself) are excluded due to, "I don't know you well enough." We may want to provide an incentive for larger factions by a daily/weekly supplement of money/items based upon a factions number of members.

Feel free to make any suggestions/amendments/comments on my plan here.

Laithes

Level 47
Nov 26, 2010
Credits
I'm okay with the power lost on death being a bit less harsh, I guess people shouldn't be raped for one death, but we can't let them have like 3 or 4 chances like we currently do. Now on the idea of regaining power on kills, is that along with the normal regen? Because if it's not, that wouldn't encourage PvP at all, that would encourage hiding in your base so you don't lose any power. But if you gain the power alongside the normal regen, then I can see an incentive there, for example, my faction base is getting raped, but we only need 3 more power to keep the rest of the base safe. I run out and have a chance to kill Mircea. If I do, the base is safe, if I die, well I fucked us over more. And on the trust thing, is there anyway to give faction moderators or admins express permissions for certain chunks? That way you only have to 100% trust your mods, because the other guys can't access certain chunks where you store your more important shit. You still have to trust people not to give out co-ords and things like that, but you won't face total ruin from the inside.

Woody2371

Level 47
Jan 29, 2011
Credits
Power is lost at a small rate, you get power back from PvP + mobs (smaller rate), also chances of TNT and/or ways of destroying people's bases.

Laithes

Level 47
Nov 26, 2010
Credits
Actually, what might be cool idea is, if it's at all possible, turn off creeper drops, and have TNT only accessible through an admin shop for like 5k per one block. That way we can breach bases, but you'll only be able to make one or two holes at a time. Also, maybe bump up the cash loss percentage? From like 10% to 20% ? There's another incentive to PvP right there, you gain more cash from it, so it's more profitable. And I'd prefer to make PvP an appealing option, rather than a forced one. I mean, if I have to mine to get ores to make my armor, isn't that helping to promote PvP? Or fortifying defenses, or setting up farms etc. Now unless you're talking about really, really slow power loss, like 1 full power an hour that you're online, I just see it as forcing everyone to go PvP almost constantly, or farm mobs constantly.

P.S. Maybe a monthly 100 coin reward or something small to those that place in the top 20 K/D ratios?

P.P.S Kick people off the K/D list if they've been banned or inactive for a month? Just so we don't have people that can't or won't claim their prizes receiving any.

Laithes

Level 47
Nov 26, 2010
Credits
But the TNT would lead to griefing....

I don't like it personally.

If you only have like one or two blocks? That's more of a breaching charge than anything else. And you can still waste or lose that block. And if the price is at like 5k, it ensures that it'll be awhile before you get hit with TNT again.

Playerer

Level 37
Jul 17, 2011
Credits
If you only have like one or two blocks? That's more of a breaching charge than anything else. And you can still waste or lose that block. And if the price is at like 5k, it ensures that it'll be awhile before you get hit with TNT again.

But if a whole gang of people decide to grief an entire building then multiple TNT blocks can be purchased.

PLUS people will just claim land a little more outside of the initial building,

making it impossible for the TNT block to be even placed next to it....

So I guess TNT can be activated if the Admins deem it necessary,

but I know for a fact I'll be claiming a lot of land around my actual base.

Woody2371

Level 47
Jan 29, 2011
Credits
@Tanja, yes TNT has been disabled, however I'm pretty sure my title says Admin :p

That means I can re-enable it.

Also, in Noodle's words "I WANT TNT DAMMIT"

--- merged: Sep 28, 2011 at 4:09 AM ---

Also, TNT would be quite expensive. Basically we want to stop people hiding inside a small stone base with one door, and therefore being invincible.

We are looking at allowing bases to be attacked if at least one faction member (or two) are online.

M1_Mercenary

Level 48
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 14, 2010
Credits
TNT will be fun, until you get an M1 minded person who is happy just grinding for TNT to blow up anything he can possibly reach :D

Playerer

Level 37
Jul 17, 2011
Credits
TNT will be fun, until you get an M1 minded person who is happy just grinding for TNT to blow up anything he can possibly reach :D

Laithes suggested creeper drops are turned off. The only way to get TNT would be to purchase it.

But if chests are covered then what does it matter?

Blow a hole to get in then....what? lol