What's new

Respawn Deploys Apex Legends Security Update After Pro Accounts Were Hacked Mid-Match

EA has deployed what it called the first in a “layered series” of Apex Legends security updates amid growing concern about the safety of the battle royale.

Over the weekend, a number of professional Apex Legends players were hacked mid-match during the game’s Global Series, putting a stop to the tournament and sparking concern about the security of some EA games.

During the North American finals of the Apex Legends Global Series, Noyan "Genburten" Ozkose was surprised to discover the ability to see through walls, an incident you can see in the video below from X/Twitter user @Apryze_:

NO WAY @Genburten getting hacked mid algs game pic.twitter.com/PaVOjmnEGs

— Apryze🌹 (@Apryze_) March 18, 2024

It didn’t stop there. Phillip "ImperialHal" Dosen was then somehow given an aimbot. Footage shows chat taken over by the words "Apex hacking global series by Destroyer2009 & R4ndom."

So i was given Aimbot but it was just me playing on Controller all good guys. Nerf controller! pic.twitter.com/2ztHtoOnRB

— TSM ImperialHal (@ImperialHal) March 18, 2024

Now, Respawn Entertainment has issued a statement, confirming a “few” pro Apex Legends player accounts were hacked during the tournament.

On Sunday, a few professional Apex Legends player accounts were hacked during an ALGS event.
Game and player security are our highest priorities, which is why we paused the competition to address the issue immediately.
Our teams have deployed the first of a layered series of updates to protect the Apex Legends player community and create a secure experience for everyone.
Thank you for your patience.

A number of Respawn developers have since tweeted about the situation, insisting they’re on the case.

We are working. The team on this are some of the most talented I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with. All I can say is, the care and love shown from parties involved makes me thankful for the coworkers and devs on this game. https://t.co/RfqkgGVhgC

— Conor Ford / Hideouts (@RSPN_Hideouts) March 20, 2024
Know that we @PlayApex take security as one of our highest priorities. https://t.co/5Hug3nS2yJ

— Evan Nikolich (@EvanNikolich) March 20, 2024

While Respawn’s statement is understandably vague around the details of the hack and the work it’s done to prevent the same thing from happening again, concern remains about the security of Apex Legends, particularly on PC. Some players are still wondering whether it’s safe to play Apex in the context of the hack, and are waiting on further detail from Respawn.

Epic Games-owned Easy Anti-Cheat, which is used by Apex Legends, has insisted its tech has nothing to do with the hacks. "We have investigated recent reports of a potential RCE issue within Easy Anti-Cheat,” Epic said. “At this time - we are confident that there is no RCE vulnerability within EAC being exploited. We will continue to work closely with our partners for any follow up support needed.”

Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at wesley_yinpoole@ign.com or confidentially at wyp100@proton.me.

Continue reading...