What's new

Halo Infinite: Initial Multiplayer Reactions Are Positive Even As Battle Pass Grind Draws Criticism

After a week full of rumors, the reports turned out to be true, as Microsoft released Halo Infinite's multiplayer more than three weeks early. The multiplayer was supposed to launch alongside Infinite's campaign on December 8, but now that it's here to celebrate the franchise's 20th anniversary, the reactions are already pouring in.

After many players had to figure out how to get around Halo Infinite's blue screen, Spartans on PC and Xbox consoles have been jumping into Halo Infinite's multiplayer beta.

Fans Reacting to the Early Release​

Even though it had been rumored for the past few days, many Halo fans were still surprised and delighted by the multiplayer's early launch. In addition to raw excitement over the release, fans also reacted to the launch lining up with the 20th anniversary of the franchise.

OMG YOU CAN START PLAYING HALO INFINITE MULTIPLAYER RIGHT NOW!?

— rayyy lmao (@RayNarvaezJr) November 15, 2021

ITS HAPPENING!!!!! HALO IS OUT NOW!!! YESSSS!!!!!

— Goldenboy #G4ISBACK (@GoldenboyFTW) November 15, 2021

Halo MP early is genius. It’s ready to go and now on launch day, players won’t have to choose between diving into campaign or MP.

— Gothalion (@Gothalion) November 15, 2021

We were right pic.twitter.com/nSJliDYNZm

— JoshsHaloMemes (@JoshsHaloMemes1) November 15, 2021
Unlocking achievements in the Halo Infinite multiplayer on the 20th anniversary of Halo and Xbox is just awesome!! #Xbox20 pic.twitter.com/qgkJ1mHOkZ

— Stallion (@Stallion83) November 15, 2021
WHAT A TIMELINE LMAO, XBOX HALO AND PLAYSTATION HZD ON STEAM. WTFFFFFFFFF pic.twitter.com/YNF5eGEKv2

— Pyo 5️⃣ (@mrpyo1) November 15, 2021

Seeing Halo Infinite successfully drop like this is so cool. 13 year old me would be losing his mind right now. pic.twitter.com/Hc0YmImTUt

— Matty (@eMattCraig) November 15, 2021

Players Joking About the Blue Screen​

As players waited for the blue screen to go away to jump into the multiplayer, they passed the time by posting jokes and memes about the giant, blue roadblock.

pls let me in @Halo pic.twitter.com/idWGf3f7ET

— Lucy James (@lucyjamesgames) November 15, 2021

is this halo? pic.twitter.com/XiLeziSAA9

— dunkey (@vgdunkey) November 15, 2021

Hit my first clip in Halo Infinite 🔥🔥🔥 pic.twitter.com/ZmuOUV7EDd

— Paul Lombardo (@KopiKitten) November 15, 2021

How Halo's Early Release Impacts Other Games​

It's a stacked year for FPS games, with the release of a new Battlefield, Halo, Far Cry, Call of Duty, and more. Some players reacted to dropping the other games on their list in favorite of Infinite, while others joked about storage space on their consoles, and the stress on Xbox's servers with the recent release of Forza Horizon 5.

#HaloInfinite MP launching today

Battlefield: pic.twitter.com/rmfYMBTxsn

— Shinobi602 (@shinobi602) November 15, 2021
uninstalling far cry 6 for halo pic.twitter.com/J0JCOkV93Z

— Gene Park (@GenePark) November 15, 2021

Halo players after seeing that they can play the Halo Infinite MP now:#Halo #HaloInfinite #Xbox20 pic.twitter.com/JgFeNmrTuY

— StopStressingMeowt | Halo Hype! (@MeowtStop) November 15, 2021

Xbox’s servers with six million people playing Forza Horizon 5 and who knows how many trying to get into the Halo Infinite multiplayer right now. pic.twitter.com/u1AywCBwpv

— Andrew Reiner (@Andrew_Reiner) November 15, 2021

Everyone on the timeline playing Halo meanwhile i have never touched a single halo game my entire life pic.twitter.com/nRwBH1vocP

— Classify 😼 (@Class) November 15, 2021

Gameplay Reactions​

Of course, now that the game is live, players are reacting to how Halo Infinite feels. Many players are happy with the gameplay, calling it incredible. Some are happy with all of the built-in modes, while a few players are worried about the battle pass progression, calling it an "unenjoyable grind".

"It’s a slog already," one user wrote on Reddit. Many players are agreeing, saying the gameplay is fun, but the progression for the battle pass is way too slow. Season 1 of the battle pass, titled Heroes of Reach, touts more than 100 rewards to earn along with a host of limited time events. The season will run until May 2022.

In the meantime, other folks also want to see the modes split up in different playlists. Right now, Slayer, the main deathmatch mode, is grouped together with the objective-based modes in one large playlist. Many are hoping to see Slayer separated into a different playlist so it is always available.

Modes and progression systems can always change in a live service game like Halo Infinite, so it will be interesting to see how these opinions change over time. Overall though, impressions seem positive — in stark contrast to Battlefield 2042, which is also in the process of launching.

really awesome seeing Halo Infinite drop with a built out ranked playlist with competitive settings. i hope other games with franchised esports programs understand how important that is to the game’s survival.

— OpTic Hitch (@hitchariide) November 15, 2021

Halo Infinite feels incredible.

— Jack “CouRage” Dunlop (@CouRageJD) November 15, 2021

Halo Infinite already feels amazing!! I did the tutorial, customized my Spartan, and bought the battle pass. Now I have to go to class. This is cruel and unusual punishment 🤔 pic.twitter.com/tMiSqbttPV

— Abram Buehner (@PnguinsWitCapes) November 15, 2021

Watching some #Halo streams and it just feels like more of the same to me. Waiting for a big game that really innovates similar to how Fortnite did with building. Not sure what that innovation is, but I don't see Halo making much of a splash longer than a month or so. Thoughts? pic.twitter.com/knps2CDVcs

— Mustard Plays (@MustardPlays) November 15, 2021

Played a good few games of Halo Infinite.

* Shooting feels great, the movement is a lot to get used to.

* Battle pass progression is very very slow.

* Not in love with any maps yet.

— Jordan Middler (@JordanMiddler) November 15, 2021
Halo Infinite feels amazing!!

You can really see how much work went into it and I really appreciate an Industry striving to be their best and not just doing things for money.

— bushszn (@bushsznn) November 15, 2021
WOW Halo Infinite multiplayer is fun! Going to game hard all night and do some impressions tomorrow. Feels so classic and TIGHT!

— DreamcastGuy (@DreamcastGuy) November 15, 2021

I feel like a kid again ❤️

Thanks @Halo

— 👽orion3🇹🇭 (@BenisSurvivor) November 15, 2021

It'll only be a few more weeks until we see the Halo fanbase's reaction to the Halo Infinite campaign. For now, you can check out our Halo Infinite campaign hands-on preview. Or, check out how 343 is approaching battle passes for Infinite's multiplayer.

Logan Plant is a freelance writer for IGN. You can find him on Twitter @LoganJPlant.

Continue reading...