What's new

Cyberpunk 2077's 2.0 Update Adds Touching Tributes to Edgerunners Anime Characters

This article contains serious spoilers for the Netflix animated series Cyberpunk: Edgerunners.

Cyberpunk 2077’s 2.0 update includes a touching tribute to the fallen cast of Netflix’s Edgerunners anime, which has led some to speculate that a character from the series could be hiding out somewhere in Night City.

The tributes were discovered by players exploring Night City’s Columbarium, a location on the eastern side of the game map that serves as a cemetery. Here, the cremated remains of the dystopian metropolis’ deceased residents are laid to rest, accompanied by a neon sigil representing their character, and a short epitaph.

Edgerunners’ 10-episode run saw the demise of a number of fan-favourite characters, some of which met their brutal ends at the hands of the cybernetic monstrosity Adam Smasher. Cyberpunk 2077’s recent 2.0 update added a number of new niches to the Columbarium, honouring the dead edgerunners.

they put the graves of the edgerunner characters 😭😭 #Cyberpunk2077 #CyberpunkEdgerunners #Cyberpunk2077PhantomLiberty pic.twitter.com/2a238aWMRV

— xKraziKai (@xKraziKai) September 21, 2023

Among them are memorials for David and Gloria Martinez, Kiwi, Rebecca, Julio, and another for Pilar, Dorio, and Maine. David’s epitaph is particularly heartwrenching, reading: “you didn’t take me to the Moon, but you were there with me,” in reference to the final scene of the series.

Players were quick to theorise that another Edgerunner character, Lucy Kushinada, was responsible for setting up the memorials, which led some to believe she could be out there somewhere in Night City, living her digital life. “She out there somewhere boys and girls. I want to believe,” commented Reddit user Gylfagi3, while Dadude564, agreed “Lucy in Phantom Liberty confirmed”.

Cyberpunk 2077’s first and only major DLC Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty drops next week, following the now-released update 2.0, which brought a significant range of improvements and changes to the base game. In our 9/10 review IGN said that “Phantom Liberty marks a new chapter for Cyberpunk 2077, and is finally close to what I’d hoped it would be”.

Anthony is a freelance contributor covering science and video gaming news for IGN. He has over eight years experience of covering breaking developments in multiple scientific fields and absolutely no time for your shenanigans. Follow him on Twitter @BeardConGamer

Continue reading...