What's new

Clip From Steam Hit Lethal Company Goes Viral as Game's Praised For 'Awesome' Proximity Chat

A gameplay clip from Steam's latest hit Lethal Company has gone viral as players laugh at and praise the game's proximity voice chat.

YouTube user Sej uploaded the clip, titled Time to Go, that's since been shared across social media and video game forum website ResetEra where it's being viewed again and again. One post containing the video on X/Twitter (below) was only posted yesterday, November 21, but already has 1.6 million views.

"This might be one of the greatest game clips of all time," said Kalentan, who shared the video on ResetEra. "Lethal Company does indeed look awesome, with amazing [voice chat] implementation and sound design," read one reply.

I know nothing about Lethal Company except for this video and I've been laughing at it for hours. The reverb is so perfect it is sending me pic.twitter.com/7cKLKAYZ52

— Dreamboum (@Dreamboum) November 21, 2023

Lethal Company is a cooperative sci-fi horror game about scavenging, as players take on the role of a contracted worker for the Company who must collect scrap from abandoned moons to meet its corporate profit quota.

The clip shows a pair of these workers exploring some dark corridors before opening a door and uncovering a giant spider-looking beastie. The two immediately shut the door and sprint back, shouting "it's time to go" to their teammate, who's further back in the corridor.

The proximity voice chat in Lethal Company means players only hear each other if they're close together, unlike most games that broadcast voices to all players on a team regardless of their position on the map. As the two players sprint back, their friend only hears frantic shouting and asks: Why? What? What?"

The poor, unsuspecting third player then lets out a shrilling scream as his teammates rush out the exit, with proximity voice chat kicking in to give the shriek a comical fade into the distance.

"I know nothing about Lethal Company except for this video and I've been laughing at it for hours," said Dreambourn on X/Twitter. "The reverb is so perfect it is sending me."

Lethal Company released in Steam Early Access on October 23 and steadily increased in popularity until last week when it spiked. It exploded to have more than 100,000 concurrent players on Steam on November 20, and has only grown in popularity since.

For those playing already or looking to get into Lethal Company, check out IGN's guide.

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelance reporter. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...