What's new

Gaming News

Everyone can post news here.The news posted here could be anything from gaming to world news.This section will be monitored fairly heavily.
CD Projekt Red is re-evaluating The Molasses Flood's upcoming Witcher game, codenamed Sirius, and has filed an impairment charge as a result.Twitter user Game Over Thirty (below) shared an announcement to investors from CD Projekt Red, indicating that all may not be well with one of the many upcoming Witcher games. An impairment charge is filed by a business to write off assets that have dropped in value or been lost completely.What this means for the game is currently unclear, though it is possible that CD Projekt Red has essentially reset development.It has denied the project is scrapped altogether, however, as senior communication manager Paweł Burza told IGN that "our current focus is ensuring that Project Sirius is aligned...
Former Firaxis director Jake Solomon said that he wants to start his studio, but it most likely won’t be another turn-based strategy game. He worked as the director for Marvel’s Midnight Suns and the XCOM franchise.On an episode of the podcast My Perfect Console, Solomon explained, “After I made Midnight Suns I looked at, ‘ok, I’m going to make another turn-based strategy game, and am I excited about that?’”He continued: “I found that I wasn’t that excited about doing another turn-based strategy game, not because the genre isn’t amazing. It’s where I’ve spent my life, but I felt like I didn’t have anything more to say in that area.”When asked what kind of game he’d make, Solomon said that he’d most likely create a simulation game...
If you play video games on PC, you’re probably aware that the Steam Spring Sale is currently in full swing. And if you weren’t, now you are. The thing is, it ends March 23, at 10 a.m. Pacific. So if you’ve been putting off picking something up, you’re running out of time. Read on for some of our picks, or just hop over to the sale now.Steam Gift CardsIf you want to load up on Steam gift cards before hitting the sale, you can do so here.Steam Deck Is 10% OffThe Steam Deck is my favorite piece of gaming hardware I own. I use it every day. It’s a revolutionary device that lets me play games like Red Dead Redemption 2, the Dead Space remake, Resident Evil Village, and 99.9% of the other games I would want to play, anywhere. I don’t...
Blizzard has said the technical issues that plagued Diablo 4’s “rocky” open beta have helped pave the way for its full launch on June 6.Last weekend saw Blizzard hold the first mostly open beta for Diablo 4, which was accessible for gamers who had either preordered a copy of the game or obtained a promotional code by ordering chicken from KFC. Unfortunately, the three-day event was marred by numerous technical issues that forced players to endure prolonged queue times while encountering frustrating error messages.“The word beta nowadays has kind of been misconstrued, where people start calling things beta that’s [actually] a marketing beta, and it’s just another term for a demo,” said Diablo 4’s general manager Rod Fergusson in an...
It's a shame we don't see more open-world games set in the sweeping dunes of a great desert, and yet Atlas Fallen embraces this setting stylishly – bringing plenty of new ideas to the table, including a sand slide move that replaces the traditional sprint and quickly makes me feel like I’m back playing Journey again as I pave my way through Atlas Fallen’s golden oasis of destruction. That’s saying nothing of the unique combat system which has me darting around mid-air between explosive attacks that often leave my foes shattered into a thousand bits of sand and crystal dust, and I do mean that literally! Granted, the demo build I spent several hours testing didn’t always feel as smooth as I’d have hoped, and I couldn’t figure out whether...
Few video games in history have cribbed more of its foundation from the Warhammer universe than the original Doom. The landmark '90s first-person shooter was filled to the brim with titanic demonspawn, disemboweling shotgun blasts, and sweaty comic-book machismo — not unlike the goliath space marines in the grim darkness of the far future. So it's fitting that Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun is such a dogmatic tribute to the tenets of vintage, id Software-hewn monster slaying. The latest entry in Games Workshop's digital empire aims to take us back to a happier age: a time of 2.5D sprites, gelatinous blood splatters, and level maps dotted with secrets, keys, and ammunition pickups. The 90s are back, baby. John Carmack would be proud.You...
It’s very easy for disabled people to feel betrayed when a game lacks proper accessibility, and rightfully so. How can studios expect us to celebrate these innovations and victories if we still can’t play their games? But if there is one lesson I’ve learned from personally playing and professionally critiquing some of our favorites, it’s that major developments should be celebrated, even if that means potentially missing out on brand-new experiences.When I write, I tend to avoid including my own perspective, aside from reviews. I’ve always felt uncomfortable discussing personal stories, especially since I share a space with over 400 million disabled players, each deserving to highlight how the games industry is helping or failing...
Today, a PC-based, Spring-centric sale continues to pick up, uh... steam. I've pinpointed individual titles worth owning, plus a bunch of franchises entire that deserve a purchase. Might I once again suggest you consider scoring a Steam Deck from Kogan, as I did recently. I have nothing but good things to say about it, even though the transaction cost an arm and a leg. But hey — they'll grow back, right? This Day in Gaming- Panzer Dragoon Orta (XB) launch, 2003. Get- MX Superfly (XO) launch, 2003. Descendant- Sonic Advance 2 (GBA) launch, 2003. Descendant- Metroid Prime (GC) launch, 2003. Remaster- Trials Evolution (PC) launch, 2013. Sequel- Mario Party 10 (WiiU) launch, 2015. DescendantsTable of ContentsNintendo Switch...
Rare and Microsoft are celebrating the fifth anniversary of Sea of Thieves, but the developers are also looking out toward the horizon for the next five years of the live service pirate adventure.In an article on Xbox Wire, Xbox revealed that the Sea of Thieves team at Rare recently sat down to plot out the next five years of the game.“I think 10 years of Sea of Thieves will feel like a long time – but also, we’ll blink and be there," creative director Mike Chapman said. "And I still think we’ll have unfinished business when we get to that point.”The Sea of Thieves team is apparently discussing ideas for smuggling mechanics, rewards for protecting other players from griefers, and a mechanic for "painting" screenshots. The...
Bandai Namco is continuing to celebrate the first anniversary of Elden Ring by sharing a morbid but hilarious infographic on the number of times players have died in the game. Spoiler alert: they've been killed over 9 billion times to date.There are a thousand ways to die, but the publisher created a pie chart narrowing it down to four causes of in-game deaths. According to the chart, damage from enemies and NPCs, including boss fights, is the leading cause of in-game death at 69%. The infographic revealed that players attempted to fight Malenia 329 million times. That number may not reveal how many players died at her hands, but it doesn't exactly show how many players defeated her, either.Meanwhile, players have tried fighting...
EA's Respawn Entertainment has released a story trailer for Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, setting the scene for Cal Kestis' next adventure.The trailer, which you can watch above still includes plenty of gameplay, opening with an Uncharted 2-style scene of Cal holding onto a ship for dear life as it falls off a cliff.It also gives a look at Merrin and Greez in Survivor for the first times (as the sequel takes place five years after Fallen Order), with Merrin sporting a new hairstyle and Greez sporting a new arm."The dark times are closing in as Cal Kestis seeks out a safe haven far from the reach of the Empire," reads an official synopsis. "Five years after the events of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, a more mature Cal Kestis must...
Hideo Kojima originally considered Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes as an experiment for an episodic format. It was a prologue to 2015’s Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.Kojima went into more detail about Ground Zeroes development for its nine year release anniversary. “In fact, it was my big intention to launch GZ. The development of a full game takes four to five years. Times change during production," Kojima said on Twitter (below). “So I thought of offering an episodic format, like a streamed drama, where one episode is produced and distributed. GZ was meant to be an experiment.”He also explained the Metal Gear Solid V prologue was an introduction to Snake’s vengeance in The Phantom Pain's story and its theme of...
Capcom has released a cute yet unsettling anime trailer for Resident Evil 4, offering an all too merry look at the horror remake ahead of its launch later this week.The cheerful clip introduces "Leon and the Mysterious Village" in an episode that sees Leon Kennedy approaching various folk while looking for the US president's missing daughter, Ashley Graham, only to find that his search is - quite literally - cut short in the most unsuspected way.Acclaimed Japanese studio Nippon Animation produced the short but sweet video in the style of its classic World Masterpiece Theater series, which first aired from 1969 to 1997 before restarting again in 2007 and running through to 2009 with its various animated adaptations.The...
Sega has announced that the Sights, Sounds, and Speed update will come to Sonic Frontiers on PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo Switch on March 22.The first of three content updates for the game will add new Challenge modes, a photo mode, and a Jukebox for players to listen to their favourite Sonic tracks.The new Challenge modes include the Cyber Space Challenge and Battle Rush and can be accessed after completing the main story. The former is a time trial mode where players race through multiple Cyber Space stages in a row, while the latter is a timed battle mode where players fight several enemies and bosses in a row.A photo mode is also being added to the game, letting players capture and edit screenshots of their Sonic...
It's time to kick off another week of great gaming bargains. Let's see if I can save you hundreds if not thousands. The latter doesn't seem so far out of the question, thanks to mcmassive discounts on hardware like the Meta Quest Pro. There are also a ton of AAA titles — many of them with the number 4 in them — that basically demand a preorder, thanks to stellar beta showings or a 10/10 score. This Day in Gaming- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: SoC (PC) launch, 2007. Get- No More Heroes (Wii) launch, 2008. Sequel- FF Crystal Chronicles: RoF (DS) launch, 2008.- Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (PS3, PSV) launch, 2014. RemasterTable of ContentsNintendo Switch PC Xbox PlayStationNotable Sales for Nintendo SwitchExpiring Recent DealsBack to top...
Destiny 2 players have been gathering en masse at the Tower to honor the late Lance Reddick, who passed away yesterday at the age of 60.After the news broke yesterday, Guardians began flocking to Commander Zavala, who Reddick famously voiced, to pay their respects. News traveled quickly in the Destiny community as Reddick was not only an avid fan of Destiny, but would occasionally engage with players on social media as Commander Zavala.Although it's a bit quieter in the Tower today, just about every instance had Guardians standing stoically in a circle around Zavala yesterday using the "Humanity's Sheild" emote to signify his character's larger-than-life presence, or sitting amongst their fellow Guardians while attending a...
Kung Fury: Street Rage is a video game tie-in to the hit Kickstarter indie martial arts comedy short film, "Kung Fury," the tale of an 80's cop who decides to take on Hitler with his superhero-level martial arts mastery. Kung Fury: Street Rage is available for $19.99 on Steam, but it's this month's IGN Plus game and Plus members can get a Steam key as an IGN Reward and jump in right now.Plus members - get your key for Kung Fury: Street Rage - Ultimate Edition here on its IGN Rewards page. Not a Plus member? Learn more here. You can also follow the devs on Twitter.Oskar Eklund, CEO & Founder of Hello There GamesI sat down with Oskar Eklund, CEO of Hello There Games, to talk about Kung Fury: Street Rage, the 5th anniversary...
Those hoping to get an early start on slaying the queen of Succubi have had to wait longer than anticipated, as many players logged on to the Diablo 4 beta servers today to discover long queue times and error codes preventing them from jumping into the ARPG.Today marks the start of the early access beta available to those who preordered the full game or got a code by eating Kentucky Fried Chicken, while next weekend will host anyone looking to start their adventures early in the open beta.But many players were greeted by long wait times to log into the server, error codes, and other issues.Taking to Twitter while facing wait times of upwards of an hour, players took the opportunity to warn their fellow demon slayers and make...
“Even Stronger” is the perfect tagline for WWE 2K23. Last year’s reinvention laid a solid foundation, and every aspect of it has been refined for the better this year. Combat is flexible without becoming burdensome, and the MyRise campaign mode focuses on telling more focused stories without compromising its open-ended gameplay. MyGM is more user friendly and lets you invite a larger number friends to get in on the action, too. Even the 2K Showcase, which has maybe the most glaring inconsistencies of all the modes, subverts expectations in creative ways. The pickings are slim for full sim-style pro-grappling alternatives, but WWE’s flagship game has never been more deserving of its spot at the head of the wrestling game table.2K...
The freaky little hooded creature, Xûr, is now live in Destiny 2 for the weekend until next week's reset. If you're looking to get your some shiny new Exotic armor or weapons for your Guardian, look no further.Each week, Xûr has a random assortment of Exotic armor, one for each Guardian class, as well as a random Exotic Weapon and an Exotic Engram available for purchase. In addition to his Exotic wares, he's got a random collection of Legendary weapons and armor to deck out your Guardians.We've rounded up all the info on Xûr for the week including where to find Xûr, which Exotic weapons and armor are available, as well as which Legendary weapons you should pick up, either for PvE or PvP.Where Is Xûr Located Today?Xûr's location...
Blizzard fans are freaking out about the only current way to access the long-awaited Diablo 4 beta: ordering KFC.As the beta kicks off today, March 17, hopeful players are taking to the game's Reddit to express their surprise, frustration, and amusement over the KFC beta code promotion. Players could previously preorder Diablo 4 to get a beta code, but this is no longer available now that the beta has begun.Some users are ordering KFC simply for the beta code, with no intentions to eat the chicken sandwich, while some are protesting it altogether.Reddit user kuroineko666 posted an "anti vegan beta key" post, asking why the only way to access Diablo 4's beta other than preordering is "to order a dead chicken from KFC".Another...
Cardy, Emma, and Mat are here once again to talk absolute nonsense. In amongst that, though, Emma has played 5 hours of Dead Island 2 and tells us all about its delicious gore. Mat has had the pleasure and relative displeasure of seeing both John Wick 4 and Shazam Fury of the Gods. Plus, Cardy has finished Death Stranding so has some 3 year-delayed thoughts.Got a game for us to play, or just want to tell us the weirdest thing you've eaten for breakfast? Drop us an email: ign_ukfeedback@ign.com.IGN UK Podcast 688: What is the Best Shape of Doughnut?IGN UK Podcast 687: The Build-a-Horror Movie-Workshop IGN UK Podcast 686: Sons of the Final Fantasy IGN UK Podcast 685: You Kang Make Me Whole Again IGN UK Podcast 684: Horizon Call of...
In light of the high-quality remakes of Resident Evil 2 and 3 released in 2019 and 2020, it felt like a safe bet that Capcom would do an equally admirable job of rebuilding Resident Evil 4. Even so, when I hit the start button on this 2023 remake of the legendary 2005 action-horror game I wasn’t prepared for how forcefully it would knock my knees out from under me and suplex me headfirst into 16 hours of sustained tension and exhilaration. This fully revitalised campaign dramatically one-ups the original in almost every conceivable way. Its Spanish countryside setting is substantially more sinister, its pacing has been tightened to the point where hardly a single minute is wasted, and its controls have been modernised in order to allow...
Bethesda's upcoming RPG Starfield has received a Restricted rating due to its depiction of "interactive drug use," the Australian Classification Board has announced. It is Australia's strongest classification, meaning sales of Bethesda's new RPG will be restricted to adults over 18 in Australia.Violence was classified as having a "Strong Impact," while nudity and sex received very low ratings. Drug use did the most to drive Starfield's ratings, which its depiction being classified as "High Impact." Starfield's rating is stronger than Fallout 4, which received an MA-15 rating for its violence when it was released back in 2015.Bethesda's RPGs have long been known for their explicit content, including featuring a fictional drug called...
Publisher Perfect World and developer Black Wings have announced Persona 5: The Phantom X for iOS and Android. A free-to-play game with in-app purchases, playtests for the new Persona 5 spin-off will start on March 29 in China.The Phantom X’s style and gameplay is exactly the same as in Persona 5, but the game’s user experience will be tailored for mobile gamers. Atlus is supervising the game’s development.Persona 5: The Phantom X follows a new group of Phantom Thieves and focuses on the theme of “desire.” Like in Persona 5, the protagonist in The Phantom X can participate in classes during the school day and do activities like watching movies and playing baseball. After school, the new Phantom Thieves can infiltrate the Metaverse...
If you've been holding off on a PS5 console or PS VR2 purchase, it's totally time to pull the (R2 or L2) trigger. Sony has an official eBay presence, and they've got a pretty mad deal with Afterpay going. Basically — and there are some finer terms and conditions to consider here — you apply the coupon 'APAYDAY3' at the checkout. Then, pay for your console with Afterpay to score a whopping 15 percent off the console packs located below. This Day in Gaming- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2) launch, 2005. Sequel- AC: Brotherhood (PS3, X360) launch, 2010. Remaster- Ōkamiden (DS) launch, 2011.- Homefront (PC, PS3, X360) launch, 2011. SequelTable of ContentsNintendo Switch PC Xbox PlayStationNotable Sales for Nintendo Switch...
Valve is celebrating the Steam Deck's first birthday, and it's giving it two birthday presents: a custom startup feature and a 10% discount.In a blog post published today, Valve explained that it added the custom startup feature to the Steam Deck after plenty of owners figured out how to create startup animations of their own, such as the PS2-style bootup sequence made by Twitter user @TheHazarduz. Now you can find other startup movies, such as the confetti-themed animation made by Valve just for the occasion, in the Steam Points Shop for only 3,000 points.You can set the startup movie you picked out from the Steam Points Shop or the custom one you made by going to Settings > Customization. You can also enable the shuffle toggle...
Emmett Shear, CEO of uber-popular streaming platform Twitch, is resigning from his position after more than 16 years at the helm.Shear announced his departure in a Twitter thread today. According to screenshots of his blog post, the birth of his son made him pause and reflect on his future at Twitch. He compared its growth from a 24/7 reality show to a site where streamers can broadcast their gameplay to millions of people to raising a child — his first child."Twitch often feels to me like a child I've been raising as well," Shear said. "And while I will always want to be there if Twitch needs me, at 16 years old it feels to me that Twitch is ready to move out of the house and venture alone. So it is with great poignancy that I...
Ubisoft has announced that its open-world RPG Far Cry 5 will get a 60fps patch for the Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5 to help celebrate its fifth anniversary.The studio revealed the news on Twitter today:In addition to the 60fps update, there'll be a free weekend from March 23-27 for both console and PC players. The Far Cry Twitter account teased the update yesterday, hinting at a "highly requested feature for next-gen consoles." They added that there will be several announcement over the next three weeks.It's unknown what other content Far Cry may announce just yet, but Ubisoft has yet to officially reveal Far Cry 7, which would be the next mainline game in the series.Far Cry 5 initially came out in 2018 for PlayStation...
The phrase “It’s Pizza Time” could cause a number of different reactions in your average person. Maybe it unlocks a memory of playing Turtles in Time at the arcade as a kid, maybe it makes you think of Tobey Maguire in Spider-Man 2, or maybe you’re hungry and it just gets you excited for some pizza. But for me, as someone who just played through the eccentric and thrilling Pizza Tower, when I hear Pizza Time, my hands start sweating, my pulse quickens, and anxiety creeps in as that music starts to slowly build in my head.The debut game from developer Tour de Pizza could most simply be described as a spiritual successor to the Wario Land series, but it’s so much more than that. The speed of its 2D platforming can rival that of even...