What's new

windows 8

Tutrie

Level 21
Jul 11, 2011
Credits
The one thing that I am pretty sure I know is correct is that bigger means better. How is it better? Well the more space you have between components on a silicone board the less heat is generated. The less heat means the component will work better. Of course it gets to the point where actually you get so small that it ends being the same deal (where the smaller it is, the less heat is generated) but the technology to produce microchips and components that small is incredibly expensive.

(Talking about that, they use this technology in military equipment and high-end retail. I tried looking for a picture that I have seen before of a US Marine using a tablet but I couldn't find it. The picture was from the Iraq war so talking about how long that technology has been around means it isn't new it is just that no one has the money to buy a tablet that acts like a PC. I think smart-phones eased users up to the idea of having a tablet but it would cut some of the functionality that a PC has. Just remembered an example of where they "pretend" use the high-end tablets: http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/graphics/314_01.jpg. In his right hand is Ancient tech but in his left is the tablets I am talking about.)

Of course there are ways to get around this dilemma that allows you to get smaller without generating so much heat (smart phones, iPods etc.) but then you loose functionality. Even laptops are limited to a degree (not so much now-a-days) that in some cases it is better to have a desktop.

My source for all that information is a collective of knowledge from these people: Computer Engineer (fathers friend), Mechanical Engineer (my father but he started out his degree as a computer engineer and keeps up to date on it so its like a half and half) and an inventor who designs these components to be used in his equipment that his business then produces and sells to different militaries. (This is my friends dad and he sells majorly to the US but European countries by his equipment in smaller quantities.) Also information I have learned separately from researching on my own.

TL;DR

My point by saying all of that is (from what I know, I think it is correct) I will not be buying a tablet to replace my laptop or desktop. I bought my laptop for $200 on sale. It has very basic components. If you want to look it up it is an hpG60-530US. Until they can make a tablet with the same functionality of a laptop similar to mine and have it set at a reasonable price I won't buy one. If they are to be the future well then Acer, Dell, HP, Toshiba, and the rest of the computer manufacturing companies will loose my business unless someone can prove me otherwise that tablets right now have the same functionality as my laptop. This also means the ease of access to that functionality too.

M1_Mercenary

Level 48
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 14, 2010
Credits
Well, as long as there is photoshop, CAD/3D Modeling, Video Games, Multimedia editing and the need of Servers/workstations. I see Laptops, Desktops, and Server PC's remaining for a long time.

Netbooks and Tablets are so popular as alot of people don't need a powerful computer to check facebook or the occasional youtube video and for them mobility allows them to derp about on the internet... on the go!

...Actually a tiny Atom based desktop/netbook would be able to replace my aged Dual PIII home server. (Even thou I Despise the Atom Processor!)

Laithes

Level 47
Nov 26, 2010
Credits
Not to mention that most tablets if not all, don't have eSATA ports, HDMI ports, optical drives, Display-port ports (lol), ethernet ports, or almost anything to do with data transfer. While yes you can fix most of the port problems, adding an optical drive would require a thickening of the tablet, and that would reduce its portability to that of a laptop. Not to mention that if something like the iPad is going to cost 600$+, why not buy a slightly less portable laptop with vastly increased system specs for the same price? While yes, tablets are a cool invention and fill a niche for lots of people, they're not the end all be all of computing technology, and I seriously doubt that anyone truly thinks that they are.

M1_Mercenary

Level 48
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 14, 2010
Credits
Well Technology is catching up, I know Intel has a technology out now that allows video to be sent out with wireless without loosing quality or having delays negating the need of a video port. Its very possible that data transfer protocols will have an option to be converted to wireless.

Laithes

Level 47
Nov 26, 2010
Credits
Well Technology is catching up, I know Intel has a technology out now that allows video to be sent out with wireless without loosing quality or having delays negating the need of a video port. Its very possible that data transfer protocols will have an option to be converted to wireless.

Even so, that will eat the crap out of your bandwidth.

M1_Mercenary

Level 48
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 14, 2010
Credits
Not quite, the Intel thing I mention uses its own Wireless transmitter, so it wouldn't trample on the Wifi Bandwidth. Also that should be updating now as wireless technology has gotten much faster than the 54Mbit/s limit of the common Wireless-G 'Wifi' used now :p

an example is 4G, which the standard will be "Peak data rates of up to approximately 100 Mbit/s for high mobility such as mobile access and up to approximately 1 Gbit/s for low mobility such as nomadic/local wireless access"

Tutrie

Level 21
Jul 11, 2011
Credits
I remember when we had that conversation and how confused I was on the meaning of those words. M1 is right. With new ways to transmit information through waves the rate at which we send and receive information will be even faster. It definitely gives us the possibility of having truly wireless devices. There even is the possibility of making wireless chargers. Which I am pretty sure they have something for that already.. (Seen ads for a charger where u just place it down on a pad the was plugged in and it charged your phone. However I think they dropped out of consumer eyes since they take forever to charge anything.)

However - this is off topic - I wonder what kind of effect these signals will have on us in the future when we are able to travel for enough away from earth we will be receiving these 1000 year old signals. They are considered a kind of pollution however we turn such a blind eye to it I worry. Not a lot of worrying and not like some oh we will be attacked by aliens worrying I just wonder what kind of effect they could have. Imagine humans in some space-ship thousands of years from now and getting a transmission from earth that was during WWII that says they are under attack and need support. What would you think?

Technology. Well Overall our whole conversation has taken a turn so I would like to hear what Windows 8 offers for regular PC users? Unless it truly is tablets only.

Gielnor

Level 39
Jul 4, 2010
Credits
Radio waves dissipate beyond the ability to make coherent sound after a few dozen light years. And obviously we will need to invent faster-than-light travel (which may or may not be possible, depending on the latest neutrino findings) before we can catch up with those waves.

M1_Mercenary

Level 48
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 14, 2010
Credits
Hmm I don't think we will be hearing WWII Radio signals in space any time soon. :p If I remember correctly, most communication at that time was done via AM, which while not the best for quality, the frequencies used won't escape the atmosphere (In fact they bounce off and come back down, which increases AM's range.)

Tutrie

Level 21
Jul 11, 2011
Credits
Okay well my example was a poor one but still pollution is pollution. Now, anyone have an answer to my question?

M1_Mercenary

Level 48
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 14, 2010
Credits
Windows 8 is just Microsoft trying to make an OS that works for everything. It will looks like it will have a code path for ARM to be installed on smartphones as well.

So im not sure if a desktop user will gain too much more from it. But Microsoft doesn't want to have multiple operating systems for various platforms. I even think the next gaming console will probably use Windows 8 or whatever is out by then.

The main advantage I see, is for the average user who gets to have the same OS and UI on almost everything they use.

Cub_Nake

Level 46
Sep 29, 2010
Credits
Radio waves dissipate beyond the ability to make coherent sound after a few dozen light years. And obviously we will need to invent faster-than-light travel (which may or may not be possible, depending on the latest neutrino findings) before we can catch up with those waves.

Somehow they managed to make particles travel faster than the speed of light with the massive hadron collider. Physicists shat bricks.

M1_Mercenary

Level 48
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 14, 2010
Credits
Not sure how Apple can apply for that patent, there are already wireless charging devices... They have been out for a couple years now.

Silly Apple and its patent trolls and slowness ^_^