What's new

windows 8

Laithes

Level 47
Nov 26, 2010
Credits
Yeah, I'm sticking with 7 for as long as possible. Unless Microsoft fires that dev team and redoes the entire OS of course.

Tutrie

Level 21
Jul 11, 2011
Credits
I feel like a Windows 8 might be a little too early. I mean seriously, how long did we have XP for and then we just get to 7 and suddenly 8?

Maybe it just feels that way because of my age.

Tutrie

Level 21
Jul 11, 2011
Credits
Ohhhh, haha sorry for the ignorance there I was just posting an opinion based on what I perceived. Why would they call it Windows 8? Then what would they call the next Windows for computers? Not very important but if it is for tablets then I would think you would call it Windows 7 Tablet (or something) unless it is not based off of Windows 7.

Woody2371

Level 47
Jan 29, 2011
Credits
You misunderstood me Tutrie. Windows 8 is DESIGNED for Tablets. It still works for Computers. Everything is going to tablets, I very much doubt there will be another Windows designed exclusively for Desktops.

Tutrie

Level 21
Jul 11, 2011
Credits
Tablets can't even match the flexibility of computers yet. (I say yet, key word in that sentence.) I honestly look at a tablet as a showy fashion trend for nerds and techies out there. I wouldn't think that Microsoft is planning them to be the future.

Oh well I guess buttons are out and touch is in. :p

Gielnor

Level 39
Jul 4, 2010
Credits
Touch pads are OK for basic UI functions, like selection icons and typing, but as a CAD user I can't imagine trying to design anything with precision without a mouse. So mouse buttons are still very, very in.

AlexDePolizis

Level 28
Jul 9, 2010
Credits
Touch pads are OK for basic UI functions, like selection icons and typing, but as a CAD user I can't imagine trying to design anything with precision without a mouse. So mouse buttons are still very, very in.

I agree. Designing anything would be like drawing dicks on a smartphone's draw app. (dont deny doing it XD) Sloppy and misshapen.

Laithes

Level 47
Nov 26, 2010
Credits
tablet as a showy fashion trend.

I agree, tablets really aren't much more portable than laptops, have less functions and less system power overall. I mean, you can either look at them as a big smartphone or a small PC, but they're not replacing anything anytime soon.

P.S. I seem to remember hearing about a similar mentality when the laptop was becoming feasible, that desktops were going to be dropped and no one was going to do anything else with them. Look how that turned out.

M1_Mercenary

Level 48
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 14, 2010
Credits
If it wasn't for laptops being more expensive, and very difficult to properly fix. I would prefer one over a desktop.

Woody2371

Level 47
Jan 29, 2011
Credits
I wouldn't think that Microsoft is planning them to be the future.

Lol Tutrie. I suggest you keep up with tech news :p

A) Microsoft develops tablet-centric OS

B) IBM gets out of computer business

C) Something like 60% of users reported replacing their laptops with tablets

I'm sorry, but tablets are much more than a techy trend, they are (unfortunately), the future. Portability, weight, and aesthetics are taking a huge part of computer R&D, because people want slimline, powerful tablets that can replace their desktop computer.

M1_Mercenary

Level 48
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 14, 2010
Credits
I still want to see the tablet pack the hardware to play games at high graphics settings, and not melt ^_^

But tablets will most likely take over for the average user that wants a mobile device. I can watch Youtube and most likely handle FB and similar crap on a PentiumIII system.

I only like laptops as the gaming ones can do competent gaming, and is almost as useful as a desktop with a chill-pad and mouse.

Cub_Nake

Level 46
Sep 29, 2010
Credits
Everyone at my dad's work have been given tablets; however, the still have to use laptops due to software restrictions. Windows 8 will most likely remove these.