What's new

What’s up with Minecraft.net today?

The perceptive among you might have noticed the intimidating camera flash on Minecraft.net, followed by punchy message from Reset The Net. Here’s an explanation of what’s going on…

I am extremely confused!
A year ago today it was revealed that the NSA (National Security Agency) and GCHQ (Government Communications Headquarters) were intercepting data from phone and internet networks, and poking around in information stored by US technology companies. That’s extremely uncool.

Should I click the massive “Click Here” button?
Yes! We’ve put that on Minecraft.net today for a reason. Click it now, or read on for more information, then click it!

Why should I care?
The internet is a great thing, but the idea of companies operating closely with the government and giving away private data without consent is extremely worrying.

It’s a bit like someone accessing your Minecraft server, rummaging through your chests, and reading all your chat logs without you knowing, only potentially more damaging (hard to believe – I know).

Umm. I’m scared now.
There’s no need to be scared. But there is a way to protect yourself. That’s what the Reset The Net campaign is about. It’s a place where you can learn how to fight against a potentially sinister side of the internet. Visit Reset The Net or watch the video below for more information.

Thanks for reading everybody!

Owen – @bopogamel

Continue reading...