What's new

Todd Howard Told Fallout TV Show Makers to Hold Back on Things That Will Be in Fallout 5

Bethesda Game Studios boss Todd Howard asked the producers of the upcoming Fallout TV show not to include certain, secret things because the developer plans to use them in Fallout 5.

Speaking to Den of Geek, co-showrunner Graham Wagner joked, “I think we made Fallout 6,” before Westworld creator Jonathan Nolan, who is executive producer on the project as well as director of its first three episodes, teased: “We know all about Fallout 5; we’re not telling anyone.”

Howard then said he guided the Fallout TV show’s creators to steer clear of anything that might have clashed with Fallout 5. “Well, there were some things where I said, ‘Don’t do this because we are going to do that in Fallout 5,'” Howard said.

The Fallout TV show, while canon, is set after the Fallout games and 219 years after the Great War, in the year 2296. That’s nine years after the events of Fallout 4 and 19 years after Fallout 3. Crucially, it’s set 14 years after the events of the Second Battle of Hoover Dam, the climax of Obsidian’s Fallout: New Vegas. The Fallout TV show is set in post-apocalyptic Los Angeles, which suggests we may see some of the New Vegas video game in the series.

Bethesda has yet to say anything concrete about Fallout 5, save it’s going to make it after The Elder Scrolls 6, itself not expected before 2028. So, Fallout 5 is a long, long way off. A lot can change between now and then too, including plot plans.

Until then, fans have the Fallout TV show to chew on, as well as Fallout 4’s next-gen update, which is due out at some point this year. For more, check out why the Fallout TV show’s recent trailer sparked a debate about the NCR and BoS uniforms.

Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at wesley_yinpoole@ign.com or confidentially at wyp100@proton.me.

Continue reading...