What's new

Sydney Sweeney Reveals The Simpsons Game That She Loved Growing Up (and Who She Played as)

Not long ago, Madame Web and Anyone but You star Sydney Sweeney revealed in an IGN interview that, like many of us, she grew up playing a Simpsons video game - but she didn't reveal which one it was.

Luckily, for the sake of journalism, we've followed up and found out that the Simpsons game in question was, in fact, The Simpsons: Road Rage.

It all started a few weeks ago, when Sweeney mentioned at a press junket for Madame Web that she grew up with a brother who plays video games all the time. When asked what her favorite game was, she said, "we would play The Simpsons game," while miming a steering wheel. She also mentioned playing Super Mario Bros. games on her Nintendo DS when her co-star Isabela Merced brought it up.

Fans were quick to speculate on just what the Simpsons game could be. As Gamespot noted, given that Sweeney's 26 years old, pure timing would place 2001's Road Rage and its spiritual sequel Hit & Run as the obvious candidates. Other sites simply assumed Sweeney meant Hit & Run (and, to be fair, so did I).

Luckily, we caught up with Sweeney to chat about her upcoming horror film Immaculate and got the chance to set the record straight.

"I want to say it was the racing game," she said. With the help of my colleague Jeffrey Vega, she eventually remembered that it was Road Rage.

"Road Rage! Because it was old, it was on the Xbox," she said. And what character did she play as?

"I always liked Homer," she said.

Well, there you have it.

Sweeney's one of many fans with fond memories of The Simpsons' car-based game adaptations, although it doesn't look like we'll be getting a sequel to 2003's Hit & Run anytime soon. Last year, Hit & Run's developers revealed in an interview on the MinnMax YouTube channel that a follow-up was in the works, but never came to fruition for whatever reason.

"It was just a really bizarre decision," executive producer John Melchior said of the sequel being tabled. "I'll never understand it. Most people on the production level never understood it."

Sweeney will next be seen in Immaculate, a horror film that she stars in and produced. It debuted at the SXSW Film Festival last week, and will hit theaters on March 22.

Thumbnail credit: Photo by Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic

Alex Stedman is a Senior News Editor with IGN, overseeing entertainment reporting. When she's not writing or editing, you can find her reading fantasy novels or playing Dungeons & Dragons.

Continue reading...