What's new

Stranger Things Star Finn Wolfhard Has a Bizarre Idea for a Video Game Movie

Finn Wolfhard is often thought of as a good pick to play Link in the upcoming live-action The Legend of Zelda movie, but the Stranger Things star has another idea for a video game movie that probably wouldn’t have occurred to the majority of fans.

Speaking in-between rounds of increasingly spicy wings during the latest episode of Hot Ones on the First We Feast YouTube channel, Wolfhard revealed his big idea is to make a Crazy Taxi movie.

Crazy Taxi is an arcade racing game series from Sega that blew up in the late ‘90s and enjoyed continued success on the Dreamcast and other consoles. It’s an over-the-top, time-based race to drive passengers to their destinations as quickly and stylishly as possible.

Crazy Taxi, then, is perhaps an odd choice for a video game movie, but Wolfhard’s idea isn’t as simple as a faithful adaptation. “I had an idea to do a Crazy Taxi movie, and the idea was like it’s Collateral, but it’s Crazy Taxi. I think that would be very fun.”

Collateral is a 2004 movie in which Tom Cruise plays a hitman who poses as a cab driver while driving Jamie Foxx around during a contract killing spree. Much hilarity ensues. Would we wait in line to watch "Collateral, but it’s Crazy Taxi"? You know what, I'd be there.

It turns out there have been a couple of attempts to make a movie based on Crazy Taxi in the past, but they never went anywhere. The first was pitched as a big summer event movie but fell by the wayside due to an “absence of plot elements”, which makes a lot of sense if you’ve played the game. The second just petered out after years of silence.

Funnily enough, Crazy Taxi is back in the news after Sega announced plans to return to the series with a reboot. Sega recently called the Crazy Taxi revival a triple-A game. Perhaps a movie tie-in is in order? Sega, if you’re reading this, now you know who to call.

Image Credit: Robert Okine/Getty Images

Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at wesley_yinpoole@ign.com or confidentially at wyp100@proton.me.

Continue reading...