What's new

Stardew Valley's 1.6 Update Will Let Players Drink Mayonnaise, and Fans Couldn't be More Conflicted

In a flip flop for the ages, Stardew Valley creator Eric Barone has revealed that mayonnaise will become a drinkable item for players once the highly anticipated 1.6 update lands for PC on March 19.

“I like pickles, but mayo... I plead the 5th,” said Barone to a fan in a 2021 Twitter/X post discussing why the digital versions of the foodstuffs couldn't be slurped down in Stardew Valley. “But if I remember right, the real reason you can't eat them in the game is because they are in a glass jar and I didn't want to have to draw a special animation for fishing out the pickles, and no way would I allow drinking mayonnaise.”

I like pickles, but mayo... I plead the 5th. but if I remember right, the real reason you can't eat them in the game is because they are in a glass jar and I didn't want to have to draw a special animation for fishing out the pickles, and no way would I allow drinking mayonnaise.

— ConcernedApe (@ConcernedApe) October 12, 2021

Well, time makes liars of us all, and in his latest daily patch note Barone announced that the impending 1.6 update will in fact make a player’s artisanal mayonnaise a drinkable item, though why you would want to chug the white stuff, and what benefits it may confer, remain a mystery.

At the time of writing the post has already banked over 120,000 likes, with many Stardew Valley fans taking to the comments to express a range of emotions running the gamut from horrified to elated. “I wish it was ‘eat’ instead of ‘drink’, I think I’m going to be sick lol,” said Reddit user Whaim on a post discussing the patch note. “Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should,” said user gammongaming11.

I hope there’s also a jail added to pelican town, because whoever does this is going to it https://t.co/rmSfaOy9s2

— Rinqueen 👑 (@rinqueen6) March 18, 2024

Finally.

— girl_dm_ (@Girl_Dm_) March 17, 2024

i was raised to never question concernedape but i might have to break my rule this once 🥹

— sofia ೀ (@softlyblossoms) March 17, 2024

HOLY SHIT THIS IS HUGE.

— RubberRoss (@RubberNinja) March 18, 2024

Barone announced earlier this month that he intends to post a short, spoiler free patch note detailing new content and tweaks coming to game each and every day running up to the release of the 1.6 update for PC on March 19. So far, the tidbits have revealed a number of new aesthetic and quality of life changes coming to the game, including the implementation of a seven day “honeymoon” period for NPCs after getting married to the player, which prevents them from staying in bed all day because they’re upset.

The update will also reduce the amount of time it takes players to nudge their way past obstructing pets down from 1.5 to 0.7 seconds, and will make jars of preserves and bottles of wine the correct colour based on the ingredients used to make them. Barone also assured players last week that the patch will fix a harvesting bug that made it slower to harvest crops while moving from right to left, and in his latest X post revealed that a new Meadowlands Farm type will be added in 1.6, which will see players start the game with a coop and two chickens, in a map with "chewy blue grass that animals love".

Stick with IGN to stay up to date running up to the release of the 1.6 update, and be sure to check out IGN's extensive Wiki to discover every secret that Stardew Valley has to offer.

Anthony is a freelance contributor covering science and video gaming news for IGN. He has over eight years experience of covering breaking developments in multiple scientific fields and absolutely no time for your shenanigans. Follow him on Twitter @BeardConGamer

Continue reading...