What's new

Stardew Valley Creator Gives Words of Advice for Mod-Loving Players Hours Before 1.6 Update Release

Stardew Valley creator Eric ‘ConcernedApe’ Barone has given words of advice to players planning on using mods with the game after the highly anticipated 1.6 update releases on PC later today.

“PSA for people who use mods: A ton of mods are already updated for 1.6 (check out https://smapi.io/mods),” said Barone in a recent X/Twitter post. “Also, I've added a public steam branch that will let you stay on version 1.5.6 if you choose. I recommend trying out 1.6 without mods, but it's up to you.”

As highlighted by Barone, links for a wealth of supposedly compatible (and broken) 1.6 mods are available to browse on the Stardew Valley mod site SMAPI, which allow players to do everything from tweaking core gameplay mechanics and aesthetics to implementing cheats.

Meanwhile, the 1.5.6 branch of Stardew Valley that will be available through Steam after the update drops will be a saving grace for any player who, for one reason or another, isn't yet ready to embrace the changes brought in with the new update. The option to stick with the earlier version of the game is particularly useful for those who have grown accustomed to using specific mods that aren’t immediately compatible with 1.6, and for others hoping to complete their current games before experiencing the new content offering.

I recommend trying out 1.6 without mods, but it's up to you.

Barone explained back in January that starting a fresh save may provide a better experience over continuing an old playthrough once 1.6 drops, as it would allow the new content to be accessed in the correct order. “It'll be fine to play on an old save,” said Barone in a post on X/Twitter at the time. “But I'd probably recommend a new save just to experience everything in context, otherwise you'll unlock a bunch of stuff right away when you load up your old save.”

The developer has also assured fans ahead of the update that the 1.6 content will be coming to both Mac and Linux versions of the game. Barone had previously stated that console versions of the update will follow, and that he is striving to avoid large gaps between platform releases, which had in his own words proven to be "a nightmare" in the past.

Be sure to check out IGN’s Stardew Valley 1.6 patch notes guide for all the details on the update. In the meantime, browse our list of the best mods available for the 1.5 version of the game.

Anthony is a freelance contributor covering science and video gaming news for IGN. He has over eight years experience of covering breaking developments in multiple scientific fields and absolutely no time for your shenanigans. Follow him on Twitter @BeardConGamer

Continue reading...