What's new

Stardew Valley Creator Reveals 'Hats on Cats (and Dogs)' Feature Seemingly Coming in 1.6 Update

Stardew Valley creator Eric ‘Concerned Ape’ Barone has teased an adorable new feature that may be coming to the farming RPG as part of the highly anticipated 1.6 update, which will seemingly allow players to put hats on their beloved in-game pets.

“Hats on cats (and dogs)”, read the post on X from Barone, who shared four images of pixel pets wearing headware ranging from bows to forager hats, and the iconic fashion hat. The idea that Stardew Valley’s pets will soon be given the behatted dignity they deserve without having to resort to mods left many in the community overjoyed, while others took the opportunity to pine for other features to be added to the game.

Hats on cats (and dogs) pic.twitter.com/4qIQOE1sUV

— ConcernedApe (@ConcernedApe) October 5, 2023

this is the greatest moment in gaming history

— facial (@facial6lock) October 6, 2023

multiple pets? 👉👈

— andrewhayes (@andrewhaye_s) October 5, 2023

not to be dramatic but this just changed my life

— vixampire 🧛🏼‍♀️ (@vixella) October 5, 2023

The bottom right absolutely TOOK ME OUT- I’m guessing this will be released in 1.6??

— Mads (@startupwithmads) October 5, 2023

This. This is the content we love to see.

— Xbox (@Xbox) October 5, 2023

Some fans were curious as to whether the new feature is to be included in the 1.6 update, or whether it will make its debut in Barone’s next title, the Haunted Chocolatier. Judging by the fact that some of the hats, floors, and wallpapers seen in the images match perfectly with existing Stardew Valley assets, it's likely to be the former.

Barone recently revealed a slew of features confirmed to be coming with Stardew Valley’s 1.6 update, including eight-player multiplayer support on PC, 100 lines of new dialogue, new late game quest endings, and a range of other new adjustments, items and features. However, the Concerned Ape has yet to reveal the release date for the new content.

The interminable wait has seemingly become too much for Terraria producer Cinx, who jokingly turned to bargaining in the comments by offering Barone: "If you dm me the release date for 1.6 I will tell you the release date for 1.4.5."

If you dm me the release date for 1.6 I will tell you the release date for 1.4.5. 🤪

— Cenx 🌳🦋 (@Cennxx) October 5, 2023

Cinx was referrering to Terraria's long awaited 1.4.5 update, which is set to bring a range of updates, items, and improvements to the wildly popular long-running title, along with a crossover event with the roguelite metroidvania Dead Cells.

Be sure to check out IGN’s comprehensive guides and Wiki to help you get the most out of your farm, and experience every secret that Stardew Valley has to offer.

Anthony is a freelance contributor covering science and video gaming news for IGN. He has over eight years experience of covering breaking developments in multiple scientific fields and absolutely no time for your shenanigans. Follow him on Twitter @BeardConGamer

Continue reading...