What's new

Some Dragon's Dogma 2 Players Are Logging Tens of Hours in Its Pre-Launch Character Creator

Dragon's Dogma 2 doesn't come until until March 22, but already some players have logged tens of hours in it via the already released character creator.

While countless fans have already shared their wild and wonderful creations, those particularly dedicated to perfecting their craft have started sharing their playtimes too, with some amassing upwards of 20 hours tweaking their characters.

"I'm almost 30 hours in and the game isn't even out yet," wrote Strange_Music on Reddit. "Granted, some of this is idle time but I've never spent this much time in a character creator before. I keep refining my pawn and Arisen, trying out different combinations. Genius move by the Dragon's Dogma 2 team, in my opinion. I'm already 100% invested in my characters."

The Arisen is the main, player character of Dragon's Dogma 2 while pawns are their dedicated disciples who join them on their quest. The character creator, which is free to download on all platforms Dragon's Dogma 2 is available (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and S, and PC), lets players design their Arisen and first, main pawn before launch so they can immediately jump into the action when the game comes out.

"I'm at 10 hours, but I'm really happy they released the character creator early because otherwise I would have had to rush creating my perfect character in just four hours instead of taking my time and being truly satisfied at 10," DeltaDarkwood responded. "Now I can at least jump right into the game on March 22."

"After 24 hours of intense grinding I've finally finished my first two characters," wrote mtj004. "Had a blast this weekend. Clocked 19 hours since Friday," said asmyladysuffolksaith. "I had some great fun with this but the endgame is really lacking," joked Cid-Zeke, posting a screenshot of their 17.5 hours of playtime. "Hope Capcom adds a story mode for Dragon's Dogma 2."

As for what they've been working on, fans have used the intricate character creator to recreate characters from Dune, Game of Thrones, Elden Ring, and more. They've done as much evil as good, however, creating some absolute monstrosities too.

Dragon's Dogma 2 takes place in a parallel universe which "mirrors the world setting of the original game". Players can explore the human kingdom of Vermund and the beastren kingdom of Battahl and ultimately take on a big evil dragon.

The myriad non-player characters of Dragon's Dogma 2 also appear endlessly complex, as beyond some pawns being completely customisable as mentioned, NPCs can form different bonds with the player character and may even fight each other for the player's love.

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelance reporter. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...