What's new

Server Population Growth - What Can We Do?

Rokku_Ryu

Level 7
Jul 24, 2011
Credits
the Server's hardware is pretty good from what I know. and considering a sibling server in the terms of hardware I couldn't get to lag with mountains of TNT exploding. May be something else causing lag.

Oh, I completely agree that we have some bawss hardware. But anyone who has played on this server, knows that when we hit peak players, lag happens. Finding the root of the problem and fixing it should be the best way to get more players.

Its said that for every 10 people that join the server, 1 will stick around. If we have less lag, and make that 2 out of every 10, we would already be kicking ass.

M1_Mercenary

Level 48
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 14, 2010
Credits
The base problem is that the server software itself isn't meant for multitasking, so it doesn't use all the resources it has (think the plugins are bad for this)

The server is running on a i7 :p

Laithes

Level 47
Nov 26, 2010
Credits
Hardware's not the problem, it's that we have x2 the amount of plugins that most servers have. And certain plugins, like Anti X-ray and BB cause more lag than most.

Willzino

Level 10
Jul 11, 2011
Credits
You need more admins like echo to ban new players. this was not supposed to be an insult. over the past week he has banned well over 60 people.

Funnay-Clippy.jpg

M1_Mercenary

Level 48
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 14, 2010
Credits
Echo is better than me, I would need to slap a ban sticker on a MG-42 to fit the amount of bans I would make from getting fed up with whiners and derps, and the stupid hackers.

erskew

Level 32
Jul 18, 2011
Credits
Echo just seems to be on when the hackers are on. If I was on at every time that he is, I would probably have the same amount of ban reports.

Now, may we please get back to the original topic? :p

Velocityshot

Level 30
Jul 19, 2011
Credits
Ok heres what I think.

Firstly, Sky diving at spawn.

Second, I think kits would not only be good for starters, but for each rank. For many ranks have no new privileges, maybe making kits available to those new ranks would make people want to play more and help more! Sgt. nor Lt, or Cpt., have any privileges. I do think invincibility would make a lot of people complain. For spawn is a heavily guarded area, and a new player could easily kill everyone. They shouldn't be able to PvP until they're invincibility is up.

Third, maybe we can set the spawn to a rules room, and make a stargate to spawn. So old players can access the room, and new players are more inclined to view it. Ask Ew about PZcraft's spawn. There was a soulsand pass with fences, making you almost HAVE to read the signs.

Fourth, I think we should focus less on making new player come, but more on how to keep them here. We had a faction of 15 rage quit after the first day (I know it was because of hacking, BUT STILL).

Fifth, Skydiving at spawn, races every couple of days (in boats), obstacle courses, weekly olympic type events, just more events in general.

And now, some funny pictures.

ThisisforyouCoolstorybro 3a7d0b 2395144

6d7a0ae06144b4d2af8510278ce654f6

Tumblr lolpp4YOPP1qg38ico1 500

erskew

Level 32
Jul 18, 2011
Credits
We need camel friendly tracks for laithes. so he can ride safely to the farm.

Back to the actual server topic as I said before. Stop trying to turn the thread into one that will need to be locked (this goes for everyone), so that actual matter may be discussed. :(

Willzino

Level 10
Jul 11, 2011
Credits
Perhaps you should stop banning people as much. for example, don't ban them if they 'attempt' to flyhack. as NoCheat actually puts them back in the place where they activated it. Also, mods need to treat new players a little nicer, thats if you want them to stay.

Admin

Level 50
Staff member
Administrator
Feb 16, 2011
Credits
I don't ban them when their position gets reset for speedhacking,, like you said it is pointless because it gets reset. They get banned most of the time for doing it at 1.2-2.0x so they don't trigger NoCheat it as much. And if they're speeding we know they probably have zombes or CJBs so they'll have xray and worldinfo to.

erskew

Level 32
Jul 18, 2011
Credits
Once again, original topic please. :p

Fifth, Skydiving at spawn

I'll only agree to this if there's a lava pit at the bottom. ;)

races every couple of days (in boats), obstacle courses, weekly olympic type events, just more events in general.

I'm working on most of this stuff on the events server. I'll be releasing a schedule for when I'll be hosting events soon.

Second, I think kits would not only be good for starters, but for each rank. For many ranks have no new privileges, maybe making kits available to those new ranks would make people want to play more and help more! Sgt. nor Lt, or Cpt., have any privileges.

I like the idea.

Laithes

Level 47
Nov 26, 2010
Credits
See, I'd prefer to make it more difficult on the higher ranks, becuase they're more experienced with how the server runs. If you wanted an even fight, would you give a noob a Beretta M9 and the experienced soldier an M4 Carbine?

Suggested perms

Pvt= Normal perms- Wood/stone kit

Cpl= Create factions? (Would require keeping better track of who deserves Cpl, probably give it after one week of being on the server. Also auto give it to people that make a faction thread? Kinda a promotion for bringing others to the server/ adding another group to the fray?) (Also redstone dust/repeaters? Seeing as with all of the lag machines, we can't seem to trust everyone with redstone.) Access to banking system if we get one? Max of 15k vault size?

Sgt= Pistons, 20k vault size.

Lt= This rank and higher gets to check out new builds going on? (Like new spawn, arena etc.) Helps both sides, seeing as they get to see some "cool story bro" stuff and admins and mods get feedback and what is essentially beta testing of new buildings. 30k vault size.

Cpt= Max of 45k vault size?

Gen= Gets to announce in one tournament, even during silent periods? "As the players warm up for the match, Noodle seems to be having a hard time reading English, due to the fact that he has to turn his screen upside-down."

P.S. Willy, if people are trying to hack, do we really want them to stay?

Dannie

Level 29
Jul 3, 2011
Credits
See, I'd prefer to make it more difficult on the higher ranks, becuase they're more experienced with how the server runs. If you wanted an even fight, would you give a noob a Beretta M9 and the experienced soldier an M4 Carbine?

Suggested perms

Pvt= Normal perms- Wood/stone kit

Cpl= Create factions? (Would require keeping better track of who deserves Cpl, probably give it after one week of being on the server. Also auto give it to people that make a faction thread? Kinda a promotion for bringing others to the server/ adding another group to the fray?) (Also redstone dust/repeaters? Seeing as with all of the lag machines, we can't seem to trust everyone with redstone.) Access to banking system if we get one? Max of 15k vault size?

Sgt= Pistons, 20k vault size.

Lt= This rank and higher gets to check out new builds going on? (Like new spawn, arena etc.) Helps both sides, seeing as they get to see some "cool story bro" stuff and admins and mods get feedback and what is essentially beta testing of new buildings. 30k vault size.

Cpt= Max of 45k vault size?

Gen= Gets to announce in one tournament, even during silent periods? "As the players warm up for the match, Noodle seems to be having a hard time reading English, due to the fact that he has to turn his screen upside-down."

P.S. Willy, if people are trying to hack, do we really want them to stay?

I don't get the vault idea but removing certain Redstone items from lower ranks will be possible I guess.