What's new

No, Cyberpunk 2077 Isn't Coming to Xbox Game Pass

CD Projekt Red has clarified that the studio currently has no plans to bring the game to Xbox Game Pass, despite rumours suggesting that it might be on its way to the subscription service.

In response to speculation (as reported by VGC) that the game may be on its way to Game Pass, CD Projekt Red's Global PR Director, Radek Grabowksi confirmed that this isn't the case.

"I just thought I'll chime in to say that there are no Game Pass plans for Cyberpunk 2077," confirmed Grabowski on the social media platform.

I just thought I'll chime in to say that there are no Game Pass plans for Cyberpunk 2077.

— Radek (@gamebowski) November 19, 2021

Initial speculation that the game might be heading to Game Pass surfaced after a recent marketing video for Xbox Cloud Gaming on consoles appeared to show a brief snippet of the game. This led to people theorise that the game might be coming to the platform as players accessing Cloud Gaming on consoles are currently required to hold a Game Pass ultimate membership.

While Grabowski's comments may have ruled out any possibility of the studio bringing the game to the platform in the immediate future, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will never be available on the platform. Over the years, Microsoft has managed to successfully bring a number of third-party games to Game Pass, meaning that fans hoping for the arrival of Cyberpunk on the platform shouldn't give up all hope just yet.

As part of celebrations for the 20th anniversary of Xbox, Microsoft's head of gaming ecosystems Sarah Bond recently delved into the origins of the company's popular subscription service and how it was originally set up to be a video game rental service codenamed Arches. In an interview, Bond explained that the company's decision to repurpose Arches into the subscription service we now know as Game Pass came in part due to the success of other companies adapting similar models such as Netflix and Spotify.

Jared Moore is a freelance writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...