What's new

My Thoughts On 1.9 and PvP

erskew

Level 32
Jul 18, 2011
Credits
Well, I've been playing the 1.9 pre-release, and have found that potions will change just about everything about how PvP is done on Minecraft. In my opinion, there are a few 'classes' that people can use for combat in Minecraft (or to contribute to a PvP faction), and 1.9 will add in a new 'class'. Before I go on, let me explain what I think the current ones are:

Melee: This is the most obvious. Using a sword, and normally iron/diamond armor, the melee class rushes in to attack up close.

Archer: Another obvious one. They will have a sword on them, but will usually spend there time away from the actual fight, firing arrows. This is a much better option than it was before 1.8.

Builder: This person never actually fights, but instead spends time making sure that a base looks good, and cannot be infiltrated. They will normally try to come up with a way to trap their base, so that they may quickly kill attackers.

Now, all of these 'classes' will find improvements from potions, such as instant health, regeneration, strength, swiftness, even fire resistance - they'll all change the normal stuff that is used to PvP.

But, you may of noticed that I haven't mentioned the potions such as poison, or weakness yet. Now, my reason for this is that the new 'class' I mentioned uses these. Now that you can throw potions, somebody could PvP by throwing these potions at enemies, and using the other potions that provide benifits to help allies. This could promote faction PvP a bit, as this allows for a player to support a group of allies and cause damage to enemies.

Finally, enchanting could be a major way for us to promote PvP. Enchanting gives players an edge over others in PvP, and it requires that you spend levels to use it. So, why don't we limit the experience gain from monsters a lot, and increase the experience from players? Those wanting the benifits of enchanted tools and armor will need to PvP for it with this suggestion.

Well, these are my thoughts on 1.9 and PvP. Thanks for reading, and feel free to comment on this or share your own thoughts on it below.

Denerius

Level 11
Jul 10, 2011
Credits
I like the fact that they quickly want to change the spam left click pvp in 1.8. Tbh, I barely played minecraft because of that, it takes low amount of skill. I agree with you though Ersk, lowering the exp gain on monsters and increasing the exp gain on players. But, ppl might agree to kill each other to abuse the exp gain or just sit at spawn and kill naked newbies.

I'm not sure how the enchancements will work, but I'm sure it will be frikkin awesome. :)

M1_Mercenary

Level 48
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 14, 2010
Credits
I like this, hopefully the invisibility potion is disabled on Aggression.

I hope potion does help with PvP, I mean it seems few actually want to PvP.. on a PvP server.

(11 online now: no kills in the last hour)

erskew

Level 32
Jul 18, 2011
Credits
What is amazing is that these potions do area damage (or help your allies within an area), so you could end up taking on 5 people at once using Instant-Harm, Slowness, and Poison. My last thought here is that fights can last a lot longer now due to sword damage being reduced, and those using potions can act like medics through the use of Instant-Health splash potions.

Laithes

Level 47
Nov 26, 2010
Credits
I like this, hopefully the invisibility potion is disabled on Aggression.

I hope potion does help with PvP, I mean it seems few actually want to PvP.. on a PvP server.

(11 online now: no kills in the last hour)

M1, no one's PvP-ing becuase you don't get anything from it. It's like being told there's candy at the NMR base, so you go there to find out that it's behind walls that you can't touch, and guarded by guys that you can't reach to get their stuff if you kill them. They however can go outside and fetch your shit off your corpse.