What's new

Modder Turns Mortal Kombat 1 Into Gruesome Adults Only Dreamworks vs Pixar Blood Bath

Mortal Kombat 1, it turns out, is the perfect canvas upon which modders can ruin childhoods. Instead of the likes of Sub-Zero, Scorpion, and Liu Kang tearing each other to shreds, how about Woody from Toy Story, Mr. Incredible from The Incredibles and… Carl Fredricksen from Up?

It sounds like a recipe for disaster, but that’s exactly what modder Toasted Shoes has created for NetherRealm’s fighting game. Toasted has built a series of mods for Mortal Kombat 1 that replace existing characters with famous ones from various Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks properties, as well as characters from the likes of Rick & Morty and Family Guy, among many others.

Seeing the likes of Woody and Jesse from Toy Story team up to go full Mortal Kombat on Sulley and Boo from Monsters Inc. is something else. It’s hilarious, of course, but unhinged all the same.

Here’s a snippet of Toasted’s best work:

I need to get a PC, they’re having too much fun over there with the mods! 🤣🤣😭……

📸 / By @GeeLambo215 pic.twitter.com/ABnT3HhUpN

— iScream (@iScreamFGC) January 9, 2024
I voiced Rick, Morty, and Meeseeks in another @ToastedShoes mod :) pic.twitter.com/IoI5GgBLhT

— Sean Kelly (@RealMortysays) December 26, 2023
I voiced Morty, Rick, and Meeseeks in a ToastedShoes mod :) pic.twitter.com/pftgehu7mS

— Sean Kelly (@RealMortysays) December 25, 2023

Toasted has even popped Marvel characters such as Spider-Man and Wolverine into Mortal Kombat 1, offering players a glimpse at what a NetherRealm-developed Marvel fighting game might look like. But what’s next? Well, perhaps inevitably, Toasted has made the most of the early version of Mickey Mouse going public domain by putting him straight into Mortal Kombat 1. Mickey, what are you doing?!

Public domain is a beautiful thing pic.twitter.com/p4FsVzlf1F

— Toasted (@ToastedShoes) January 16, 2024

In the realm of official Mortal Kombat 1 releases, Kameo character Khameleon just came out. John Cena's Peacemaker arrives as a playable DLC guest character in February. Mortal Kombat 1 development chief Ed Boon has confirmed plans to continue the story of the game, too.

Image credit: Toasted Shoes

Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at wesley_yinpoole@ign.com or confidentially at wyp100@proton.me.

Continue reading...