What's new

Modder Behind Oblivion Fan Remake Vows to See It Through Whether Bethesda Releases a Remaster or Not

This week’s explosive Xbox leak set the Elder Scrolls community into overdrive with the revelation that Bethesda may be working on an official Oblivion remaster.

Documents accidentally published as part of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) versus Microsoft trial over the buyout of Activision Blizzard include a chart put together in July 2020 ahead of Microsoft’s March 2021 purchase of Bethesda parent company ZeniMax Media. This chart contains a Bethesda release schedule, which is now over three years old.

Here’s the list:

Financial year 2022:

• Oblivion Remaster
  • Indiana Jones game

Financial year 2023

• Doom Year Zero and DLC
  • Project Kestrel
  • Project Platinum

Financial year 2024

• The Elder Scrolls 6
  • Project Kestrel: Expansion
  • Licensed IP Game
  • Fallout 3 Remaster
  • Ghostwire: Tokyo Sequel
  • Dishonored 3
  • DOOM Year Zero DLC

The release timings are obviously out of date, but word of an Oblivion remaster was enough to cause fans to imagine what an updated version of the much-loved 2006 role-playing game would look like.

For the modders behind the ambitious Skyblivion project, however, the potential existence of an official Oblivion remaster could spell trouble. Skyblivion is a fan effort to remake Bethesda’s Oblivion in The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim engine, and has been in development in various forms since 2012. Over 50 volunteers currently make up the development team at the TESRenewal modding group.

Speaking to IGN in an exclusive interview, Rebelzize, lead developer of Skyblivion, seemed unconcerned by the reports, and vowed to release Skyblivion come what may.

Nothing can stop us from seeing this through.

“With the release in sight nothing can stop us / me from seeing this through and finally rewarding that amazing support by letting people experience the game we have collectively poured years of our lives into,” Rebelzize said.

Perhaps surprisingly, Rebelzize said it would be a good thing if Bethesda plans to release an Oblivion remaster. “Whether these rumors are true or not having Oblivion or any other older Bethesda title getting a remaster in my eyes would be good news for everyone,” Rebelzize insisted.

“Getting these old games to run properly on new hardware simply allows more people to experience these fantastic titles for themselves which can only be a good thing as they are some of the greatest western RPGs of their time.”

Rebelzize said “remasters and remakes are two completely different beasts at the end of the day”, and pointed out differences between the Skyblivion project and the potential Oblivion remaster. Remasters, Rebelzize said, “are the exact same games from way back but usually with a touch of paint like higher res textures, modern features like widescreen monitors support, controller support, maybe ray tracing and the like." Remakes, according to Rebelzize, “are creative takes on the original."

“With Skyblivion for instance our goal has been to make Oblivion the way we imagine it looking should it come out today,” Rebelzize continued. “Should a real Oblivion remaster be in the works I hope that it makes more people excited about seeing what our interpretation of that story and setting would look like.”

While Bethesda has a history of embracing the modding community, and indeed has benefitted greatly from the continued good work modders do to keep its games alive long after launch, there is now talk of the dreaded cease and desist from Bethesda’s lawyers.

Rebelzize, again, is unconcerned. “About the cease and desist, I can confidently say no,” Rebelzize said. “We have been in touch with Bethesda throughout the years and they know exactly what we are doing and more importantly how to get in touch with me should they have any concerns (they even got my home address).

“On top of that we recently spoke with them about our project which they turned into a featured article for on their official website. All of this makes me confident that Bethesda is still the mod loving and support developer they always have been and will continue to nurture this community, especially now that Starfield is out with nearly limited modding potential (as soon as they release the modding tools).”

We have been in touch with Bethesda throughout the years and they know exactly what we are doing.

Skyblivion is on track to launch in 2025, but still needs volunteers to help it over the finish line. If an official Oblivion remaster is in the works, which will come out first?

Bethesda is yet to comment on the leaks, but Xbox boss Phil Spencer has insisted the details are out of date.

"We've seen the conversation around old emails and documents," Spencer said. "It is hard to see our team's work shared in this way because so much has changed and there's so much to be excited about right now, and in the future. We will share the real plans when we are ready."

Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at wesley_yinpoole@ign.com or confidentially at wyp100@proton.me.

Continue reading...