What's new

Microsoft Picks Up Survival Game The Alters for Xbox Game Pass - Xbox Partner Preview 2024

Microsoft has announced The Alters is coming to Xbox Game Pass, as well as shown off gameplay in a new trailer.

The Alters is an upcoming survival video game developed and published by 11 Bit Studios, the maker of This War of Mine and Frostpunk. It's set for Microsoft’s PC Game Pass and Xbox Game Pass for console.

You play Jan, a space miner who must create alternate versions of himself in order to survive on an inhospitable planet. The Alters’ gameplay trailer shows the first look at Jan's quest to escape a perilous planet while searching for the answer to the most oft-asked question in human history: what if?

Here's the official blurb:

Inspired by the critically acclaimed title This War of Mine, The Alters thrusts players into a heart-pounding battle for survival that Jan can't conquer alone. After crash landing on a desolate planet with a scorching star, Jan must avoid the murderous conditions by taking refuge in a cutting-edge mobile base. The only issue? It’s meant to be operated by a skilled team and he’s just Jan.
Thankfully, fate takes a turn with the discovery of Rapidium, a mysterious substance exclusive to this perilous world. Interacting with the Quantum Computer on board the mobile base allows Jan to manipulate pivotal decisions from his past—creating alternate versions of himself known as Alters—that have the potential to change everything.

The Alters is due out on PlayStation 5, PC (Steam, GOG, Epic), and Xbox Series X and S at some point in 2024.

Check out our roundup of everything announced during Xbox Partner Preview March 2024 for more.

Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at wesley_yinpoole@ign.com or confidentially at wyp100@proton.me.

Continue reading...