What's new

Metro Exodus Developers Pay Tribute to Colleague Killed in Action in Ukraine

Editor's Note: The war in Ukraine is an ongoing, painful and emotive topic. IGN urges community members to be respectful when engaging in conversation around this subject and does not endorse harassment of any kind.

Metro Exodus developers have paid tribute to Andrii Korzinkin, a colleague who was reportedly killed in action while fighting in the Ukraine war.

As reported by PC Gamer, Andrii Korzinkin was an animator at Kyiv-based developer 4A Games before joining the Ukrainian army following the Russian invasion in February 2022.

Former colleague Leonid Stepanov shared news of his death on Twitter (below), saying that Korzinkin died during a combat mission.

Andrii "Nizrok" Korzinkin (@korzinkin_3d) died while performing a combat mission in the struggle for independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine. A talented animator, incredible person and real hero. Rest in peace, friend. We all miss you. https://t.co/2OC83CMdfU

— Leonid Stepanov (@Leonid_Games) October 2, 2022

"Andrii 'Nizrok' Korzinkin died while performing a combat mission in the struggle for independence, sovereignty, and territorial integrity of Ukraine. A talented animator, incredible person, and real hero. Rest in peace, friend. We all miss you," he said in the post.

"In addition to advancing his abilities as an animator, Andrii expanded other skills necessary in game development [like design and coding to] one day create the project of his dreams. Unfortunately, this is no longer possible."

Stepanov currently works as a gameplay designer at Control developer Remedy Entertainment, but worked with Korzinkin at 4A Games previously.

"A talented animator, incredible person, and real hero. Rest in peace, friend. We all miss you."

He told PC Gamer: "I was immediately struck by his kind nature and desire to always help. This trait of his was noticed by many other colleagues too. And of course his technical skill was stunning." Upon hearing of his friend's death, Stepanov said "my first reaction was denial, that this is impossible, that this could not happen to Andrii.

"Even later, when I was doing reposts of this terrible news myself, I hoped that it would all turn out to be a mistake. But then information about this was confirmed from other people. It was very painful. Now it remains only to keep wonderful memories of Andrii, pass them to other people, and do everything so that his death is not in vain."

4A Games was among several developers who called for support of Ukraine following the Russian invasion. "We're neither politicians, nor superheroes - we're game developers. Our large family includes people from all over the world, and all of us want just one thing - for the horrors of war not to ever break out of imaginary worlds," it said at the time.

Thumbnail Image Credit: Andrii Korzinkin

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelancer. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...