What's new

Level Zero: Extraction Hands-On Preview: Mixing Tarkov and Alien Isolation Beautifully

Level Zero: Extraction is no longer the game we first saw in 2022, but that's certainly not a bad thing. Previously announced as an asymmetric multiplayer survival horror game, developer DogHowl Games has given Level Zero a unique direction shift that blends those horror elements with an extraction shooter. Directly influenced by Escape from Tarkov and Alien: Isolation, it's an intriguing approach, and our exclusive hands-on preview suggests these changes are paying off.

Extraction's premise would feel at home in a classic sci-fi horror film. An off-planet scientific expedition brought alien horrors back to Earth, and we went on a megacorp-backed scavenging hunt across an abandoned Antarctic base, one of two maps available at launch. A tense atmosphere grips these dark halls as you avoid environmental hazards like loose electrical wires and live mines, while discoverable audio recordings offer a subtle avenue to expand the lore.

Supporting up to 11 people through online multiplayer, Extraction is not your standard man vs. monster premise. Nine people explore the facility as Mercenaries with teams ranging from solos to trios, while two monsters try to kill everyone across these 30-minute rounds. As Mercs, you're searching for loot while avoiding monster attacks, grabbing any valuable items from storage containers or deceased scientists before reaching an extraction point.

Extraction is not your standard man vs. monster premise.

As monsters, your only goal is eliminating every Merc, but you might get beaten to the punch. Each Merc team directly competes with each other, creating an attractive risk vs reward element that kept me on my toes. Do you approach the other Mercs over proximity chat to work together, giving you better survival odds against the roaming aliens? Or do you kill the opposing factions, steal their loot to earn more currency, and take your chances against these monsters? It's a tough call.

Playing monsters feels particularly fun thanks to powerful abilities like acid spit, heartbeat scans that locate Mercs from a distance, traps, and more. Extraction balances these nicely with an energy meter system that gradually regenerates but requires collecting eggs to build up further. Coordinating with my teammate to effectively use these abilities feels great, and celebrating wins together contrasts nicely against more solitary experiences, like playing a 'Killer' in Dead By Daylight.

While aliens have better abilities, Mercs benefit from broad customization options before each match that tie into progression well. You can purchase and equip a limited number of items that cover all situations, like keycards for accessing specific areas, nailguns, grenades, flares, glowsticks, and more. Leveling up your reputation among individual traders gradually unlocks better store options, though there wasn't enough time to see this directly.

Level Zero's light mechanics was one of my original highlights, offering a creative approach that didn't involve guns or melee weapons. Though the new Merc system means weapons are in steady supply, I'm pleased that light remains the only way to kill these monsters, who respawn after 35 seconds. Aliens can temporarily turn invisible and use up their energy, yet all it takes is a well-timed flare or flick of a light switch to destroy you.

What's clear is that Extraction prioritizes strategic gameplay at every step, particularly with lights. Sure, it's a great defense against aliens, but it risks alerting opposing Mercs to your location. Considering Mercs don't respawn once killed - and you'll lose all obtained loot that isn't placed inside a safe box. A single mistake can end your entire match. You aren't entirely down for the count, though. If you can't be revived but your teammates are still alive, you'll return by piloting a drone that can ping objects and use a torch, which makes for a nice assist that keeps you involved.

Aliens can temporarily turn invisible and use up their energy, yet all it takes is a well-timed flare or flick of a light switch to destroy you.

There's a lot DogHowl Games isn't ready to show yet, but this 90-minute demo has left me very optimistic about Level Zero: Extraction. As someone who's traditionally not a horror fan, Extraction leans into its darker elements well without being offputting, and the extraction mechanics create some compelling strategy. I'm keen to jump back in when it reaches Steam Early Access later this year, while a closed beta begins on March 15. A console version is also coming, though specific platforms remain unconfirmed.

Continue reading...