What's new

Helldivers 2 Dev Says It Will 'Never' Add PvP Because It Wants to 'Reduce Toxic Elements' From the Community

Are you playing Helldivers 2 and wondering if the developers will ever add a player versus player mode? Don’t hold your breath — the boss of developer Arrowhead Game Studios has said it’s never going to happen.

Responding to a user on Twitter/X, Arrowhead CEO Johan Pilestedt said the developer will “never” add PvP to Helldivers 2 in order to reduce “toxic elements” from the community.

“Hey; We'll ‘never’ add a PvP-mode,” Pilestedt said. “This is to reduce toxic elements from the community.

“We want an environment that's supportive, fun and where we all are fighting on the same side!”

Helldivers 2 is a co-op third-person shooter in which players squad up to take on alien bugs and automatons across big maps packed with over-the-top action, explosions, and a generous number of epic moments.

While there is no PvP mode, players are as much a danger to each other as they are to the enemy. Helldivers 2 is a game with friendly fire, which means a stray bullet from a squadmate can be disastrous. Turrets, too, can kill your friends, or even you, if you happen to get in their way. And devastating orbital strikes can be a menace to your friends as well as enemy outposts.

One of the cool things about Helldivers 2 is that players have established an ‘unspoken’ co-op etiquette, which is useful for a game in which voice comms are rarely used when playing with randoms. From what I can tell, griefing is an unusual occurrence in Helldivers 2, but it does happen. I’ve seen some players report they’ve encountered players who’ve engaged in a spot of teamkilling. Some are even orbital-striking the entire group as soon as they spawn onto the map, only to do it again seemingly just for a laugh. And teamkilling during an extraction, or kicking a teammate during extraction after a 40-minute mission does sometimes occur.

We don't want the toxicity that naturally comes with it. There are plenty, actually most, games that provide PvP.

Pilestedt also responded to a user who accused Arrowhead of being “scared” to add PvP to Helldivers 2, denying that was the case. “Not scared,” Pilestedt said. “Just we don't want the toxicity that naturally comes with it. There are plenty, actually most, games that provide PvP.

“We make games for people that just want to have a challenging time with friends but in a PvE setting.”

Pilestedt then pointed players who want a PvP experience to extraction shooter Escape from Tarkov: “If you want PvP I recommend @tarkov,” Pilestedt said.

According to Pilestedt, Helldivers 2 has already sold one million copies across PlayStation 5 and PC, smashing all expectations in the process. And despite various matchmaking issues, Helldivers 2 shows no sign of slowing down. Check out IGN’s Helldivers 2 tips and tricks for getting started if you’re jumping in.

Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at wesley_yinpoole@ign.com or confidentially at wyp100@proton.me.

Continue reading...