What's new

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis Director Doesn't Think Using Nazis Over and Over Is a Good Idea

The director of much-loved 1992 point-and-click adventure game Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis doesn't think using Nazis over and over again is a good idea.

Speaking to Time Extension, Hal Barwood said using Nazis in Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny was a "tremendous mistake" but didn't comment on their appearance in upcoming video game Indiana Jones and the Great Circle.

"I think as the Jones universe became formulaic to the people who were involved with it in film especially," Barwood said, "but also in games, they just thought that Nazis were an inherent part of that world. I didn’t think so at all.

"I just think it was a tremendous mistake to have Nazis in Dial of Destiny and I just thought that resurrecting and rehashing that material was not a good idea."

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis does have Nazis in it, but Barwood was disappointed to see LucasArts continue to go down that route.

"They just couldn’t think of something that didn’t involve the Nazis and the franchise was lying heavy on their shoulders," he said. "They just thought they should go and do what had already been done. That’s a creative lapse, which I’m sorry to have been aware of. I wish it hadn’t happened."

Indiana Jones has been long dormant from the video game space but is making its return with Indiana Jones and the Great Circle, which arrives sometime in 2024 from MachineGames. It's a first-person game starring Troy Baker as Indy and is set in 1937, between Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade.

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelance reporter. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...