What's new

Hironobu Sakaguchi 'In Planning Stages' For New Projects After Receiving Multiple Offers

Despite numerous hints over the years that he might be slipping into something that looked like retirement, Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi appears to be far from done making games.

In an interview with IGN, Sakaguchi confirmed that he's been approached with one or two offers for new projects that he's currently considering... in between sessions of Final Fantasy 14.

"They're still in the planning stages, where we're deciding on how the business will work and putting together contracts, so it's not as if we've started on actual development, but I do think I'll be working on something," he said. "Of course, the more concrete those plans start to look, the more I feel like I need to play FF14 while I still can."

Sakaguchi has been spending a lot of time gaming lately, especially Final Fantasy 14, though he added in the same interview that he isn't interested in getting involved with its development and doesn't want to learn any inside information about it, for fear it would ruin his experience as a player and ability to connect with the FF14 community.

But he's playing other games, too, trying to get in as much gaming time as possible before he dives into a new project of his own.

"When I'm really involved in making a game, though, I have surprisingly little time for anything else," he said. "I play games once I'm done making one. I played Ghost of Tsushima because the timing was just right. Once I start on a new game, I feel like playing whatever's new when I finish… but that's why I at least want to play through Horizon Forbidden West before starting on my next game."

Our full interview with Sakaguchi included discussion of his experience in Final Fantasy 14 up to now, and his insights on the game from the perspetive of someone who created the franchise but hasn't been involved in the MMORPG's creation at all.

We've also previously spoken to Sakaguchi about his most recent release, Fantasian, and how it was inspired by Final Fantasy 6 and his love for his family.

Rebekah Valentine is a news reporter for IGN. You can find her on Twitter @duckvalentine.

Continue reading...