What's new

Hideo Kojima Says 12 Minutes 'Kind of Makes Me Want To Create Another Adventure Game'

Metal Gear Solid and Death Stranding director Hideo Kojima has taken to Twitter to share that he enjoyed 12 Minutes so much that it "kinda makes [him] want to create another adventure game."

12 Minutes is a time-loop mystery adventure game starring Willem Dafoe, James McAvoy, and Daisy Ridley that had Kojima saying he hasn't "been into a game this much since INSIDE."

"Once you get used to the overhead view and the controls, you won't mind. It's a game using intelligence. It's like the Amiga games I used to play," Kojima wrote. "I still haven't cleared it yet, but it's fun. I'm afraid of Dafoe's visit!"

Speaking of Dafoe, Kojima also says that, "even now, I feel like Dafoe is going to come in the front door in ten or so minutes... Normally I'd welcome him, as I'm a huge fan of him, but after playing TWELVE MINUTES, I'm afraid he's going to punch me. Nice casting though."

He then continued to say that 12 minutes is kind of inspiring him to create another adventure game. For those unaware, Kojima worked on a number of games in the graphic adventure genre during his time at Konami, including Policenauts and Snatcher.

If he were to go down that road, 12 Minutes' creator Luis Antonio did offer that he does have some ideas he'd love to run by Kojima.

To finish off his thoughts, Kojima compared aspects of 12 Minutes to other films like The Shining.

"The carpet pattern in the hallway is totally 'The Shining.' And the closet's perspective is also good. Dafoe's high strung voice is very 'The Lighthouse'-like," Kojima wrote.

While it may be some time before we see a potential Kojima adventure game, fans will be able to jump into Death Stranding Director's Cut on PS5 on September 24, 2021.

If you'd like to see if you'll enjoy 12 Minutes as much as Kojima but still aren't convinced you want to give it a try, be sure to check out our review, in which we said it "injects a compelling time-loop mystery into a traditional point-and-click adventure game to create original gameplay that complements its story’s curiosity factor."

Have a tip for us? Want to discuss a possible story? Please send an email to newstips@ign.com.

Adam Bankhurst is a news writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter
@AdamBankhurst and on Twitch.

Continue reading...