What's new

Helldivers 2 Dev in ‘A Bit of Crisis Mode’ Amid Matchmaking Issues and Crashes

Helldivers 2 has enjoyed an impressive start on Steam, but the launch is under threat of being overshadowed by matchmaking problems and crashes.

Arrowhead Game Studios’ cooperative action game is published by Sony Interactive Entertainment across PS5 and PC via Steam. Helldivers 2 is currently the 18th most-played game on Steam with 64,183 concurrent players, a number that will no doubt grow over the course of the day, week, and into its first weekend. Helldivers 2 is also the third top-selling game by revenue on Steam, ahead of smash hits such as Palworld and Call of Duty.

But the reception to Helldivers 2 on Steam is currently classed as ‘mixed’, with some users pointing out performance problems that are causing issues on PC.

In a post on the official Helldivers Discord, Arrowhead CEO Johan Pilestedt said the Swedish studio has been in “a bit of a crisis mode” today, admitting matchmaking issues, crashes, and login problems were taking up a lot of the team’s time. Pilestedt suggested the sheer volume of players at launch dug up unforeseen issues.

“I just wanted to let you all know we're working as hard as we can on resolving these, the volume of players exposed some shenanigans in the system that went past many, many, many hours or testing,” Pilestedt continued.

“We have tried resolving it on the backend only but it seems like we will have to patch the game to resolve the issue. Sorry for this and thank you for your patience.

“For now I recommend to team up with people from the community as joining friends work fine.

“I hope you are enjoying the experience once you get into the game."

One of the problems Helldivers 2 has encountered is an issue with quickplay. In a seperate post on Discord, Arrowhead said it’s working on a fix.

Arrowhead and publisher Sony will be keen to sort Helldivers 2’s launch issues out before they begin to seriously affect player numbers and release enthusiasm from fans.

Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at wesley_yinpoole@ign.com or confidentially at wyp100@proton.me.

Continue reading...