What's new

From Software Legend Hidetaka Miyazaki's Really Liked It Takes Two

Hidetaka Miyazaki the creator of the Souls series, really enjoyed It Takes Two from Hazelight Studios it seems. That's quite the praise especially coming from someone who had worked on some of the most influential games of all time.

In an interview over at the PlayStation Blog, Miyazaki said that he doesn't really have much time to play video games, but he tries to make time for them when he can. It Takes Two was one that stood out to him and he played the game from start to finish across three days with a friend online.

When asked about what made It Takes Two so memorable to him, Miyazaki explained, "It didn’t let up throughout, and it never let me get bored. The art and gameplay are different in each stage, and the game encourages you to cooperate across its entirety yet still maintains that artistic element. It’s continually fun to play and felt extremely fresh to me right up until the end, which was impressive to me as a fellow creator."

He continued, "Honestly, I didn’t have that much interest in it at first. But when I gave it a go with my friend, it finally clicked. And with a small child of my own, the narrative resonated with me, which was most interesting in the end."

He's not the only high-profile Japanese game developer to have talked about It Takes Two. Super Smash Bros creator Masahiro Sakurai hinted that he may have played the game solo with two controllers. Additionally, Naughty Dog senior communications manager Rochelle Snyder and co-president Evan Wells also included It Takes Two as their favorite games of 2021.

It Takes Two is the newest game from outspoken video game director Josef Fares and Hazelight Studios. Like Fares' previous games, It Takes Two is meant to be play cooperatively as two players take control of Cody and May, a married couple on the brink of divorce. Their adventure together through fantastical challenges tests their relationship as well as that of the players'.

It Takes Two won the coveted title of game of the year award at The Game Awards 2021. It's also included in IGN's best games of 2021 as well.

George Yang is a freelance writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter @yinyangfooey

Continue reading...