What's new

Extended Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 Gameplay Video Teases Chaos Marines

Space Marine 2 has a new, explosive nine-minute gameplay video keen Warhammer 40,000 watchers are sure to get a kick out of.

Saber Interactive’s Space Marine 2 has so far shown off the relentless alien Tyranids as the primary enemy facing Lieutenant Titus and his Ultramarine brethren as they battle to save the Imperial Jungle World Kadaku from disaster. But this new gameplay video, below, teases the addition of Chaos forces to the game.

The first tease comes from dialogue between the Ultramarines. We hear one Ultramarine ask: “Chairon, if we encounter Chaos forces…” Chairon replies: “You need not concern yourself with me, Lieutenant.”

That dialogue sets up a tease at the end of the video, which confirms Chaos forces in Space Marine 2.

After a brief chat with IGN feature writer and fellow Warhammer 40,000 enthusiast Matt Purslow, I’ve got a decent idea of what we see here. It looks like this scene takes place inside the Warp, Warhammer 40,000’s demonic dimension, or at least close to a Warp rift of some kind.

The colours in the sky perhaps suggest we’re seeing Chaos forces aligned to Tzeentch, the Chaos god of change. It’s hard to tell, but the enemies shooting at Titus in the distance look like Rubric Marines of the Thousand Sons Traitor Legion, which has sworn allegiance to Tzeentch.

It looks like there’s a Chaos Rhino troop carrier to the left of the scene, too. Given Titus has since crossed the Rubicon Primaris to become a Primaris Space Marine, it’s safe to assume all the vehicles for Space Marines in Space Marine 2 are for Primaris marines. This scene shows an old Rhino, which is still used by Chaos.

All this confirms Chaos are in Space Marine 2, which is welcome news because there was some concern about gameplay variety given all we’d seen so far was different Tyranid models.

For more on Space Marine 2, check out Matt’s hands-on preview from gamescom 2023. Expect a launch on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and S, and PC at some point this winter.

Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at wesley_yinpoole@ign.com or confidentially at wyp100@proton.me.

Continue reading...