What's new

Elden Ring: New Patch Nerfs a Popular Way to Beat Malenia

Elden Ring's patch 1.04 has nerfed an incantation that's been used as part of a popular tactic in the fight against the game's most difficult boss, Malenia, Blade of Miquella.

The incantation Swarm of Flies has been altered as part of the latest gameplay changes. The blood-based magic now has "Decreased blood loss buildup on enemy," and the community is already noting the impact it will have on the fight with Malenia.

Basically you patched how to beat Malenia with Swarm!

— GG_Elitee (@GG_Elitee) April 19, 2022

Melenia is an incredibly difficult battle, and many players have been using Swarm of Flies to build up blood loss at range in order to eventually deal substantial damage to the deadly swordswoman. Anecdotally, during my scraps with her I've noticed that it's a very popular choice among summons. Following the nerf, players in the community are already noting that the fight could be just that little bit more difficult now.

Well rip everyone who went to help with co op for Malenia and spammed this ( including myself 👀 ) pic.twitter.com/FIAc0KFBNX

— Franky-D-Thanatos (@Shi_N0_Gekai) April 19, 2022

Those relying on the Swarm of Flies tactic will have to find another approach, as Melenia herself remains completley in-tact, having not been subjected to a nerf. However, despite this, there are those who still believe Swarm of Flies will be a valuable incantation to use in the Melenia fight.

Finally a good patch that buffs str-based weapons and most recovery times instead of needlessly nerfing mage/bleed tools to the ground 🙏 Swarm of flies can still help stagger Malenia while watching out for Waterfowl Dance, despite the blood buildup nerf.

— Tommy (@tommywalkie) April 19, 2022

While Swarm of Flies has been nerfed, the community response to patch 1.04 has been overwhelmingly positive. The meta Rivers of Blood katana, which has been the bane and boon of many players, has not been nerfed (although some are suggesting it has been shadow nerfed) but many other weapons have been signifcantly buffed, hopefully making for a more even playing field among swords. Of note is the huge change to colossal weapons, which makes chunky strength builds much more viable. Incantations have also been buffed, and players are now more resistant to being knocked out of a casting animation. As one Reddit poster who's fond of the lighting incantations says: Thor is back, baby.

If you're in need of aid against Malenia now Swarm of Flies has been nerfed, you can check out our guide in the video above. Alternatively, if you're on PC, you could hope to meet the legendary 'Let me solo her' who has made an Elden Ring hobby out of battering Malenia for other players.

Matt Purslow is IGN's UK News and Features Editor.

Continue reading...