What's new

Don't Starve and Terraria Are Crossing Over for Halloween

Beloved indie survival games Don't Starve and Terrarria are trading monsters as part of a collaborative Halloween crossover.

Over on Twitter, the Terraria account announced that the two games would be trading elements with a video captioned, "Just a bit of news, no big deal." The accompanying clip showed Terraria's Eye of Cthulhu breaching into the world of Don't Starve - much to the confusion and bewilderment of the game's protagonist Wilson.

Just a bit of Terraria news, no big deal https://t.co/7erEwNbzd0 pic.twitter.com/Va5IJqO5gV

— Terraria (@Terraria_Logic) October 21, 2021

A subsequent reply from Don't Starve developer Klei added its own captioned video. The short teaser clip showed Don't Starve's Deerclops stomping through a blizzard-filled Terraria landscape. "Oops, I think we mixed something up somewhere," reads the accompanying caption. "Oh well, I'm sure it will all sort itself out by next month."

While both monsters have seen a change to their aesthetic in the swap, they come across pretty well. Granted the eye of Cthulhu seems to have lost a blood vessel or two and Deerclops feels a little more pixel-y around the edges, but overall both monsters look well-suited to their new environments and what looks to be a temporary stay in unknown lands.

Oops, I think we mixed something up somewhere. Oh well, I'm sure it will all sort itself out by next month.⚔️ pic.twitter.com/npI35M08Q9

— Klei (@klei) October 21, 2021

News of the crossover comes after Terraria developer Re-Logic recently told fans that it wasn't quite done working on the game. As spotted by Destructoid, the developer posted to Terraria's Steam page to tell fans that it is currently optimizing the game for Steam Deck. According to the update, that work is "going quite well," which should be pleasing for those hoping to pick it up on the handheld after launch.

Last month, Terraria released its 1.4 Journey's End update for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One players. The update brought with it a number of changes to the game including Master and Journey modes as well as new enemies, additional biomes, and more. For the latest tips, tricks, and guides for the game, make sure to check out our dedicated Terraria page here on IGN - who knows, you might even find something that helps fend off a Deerclops.

Jared Moore is a freelance writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...