What's new

Destiny: Zavala Has a New Voice Actor Following Death of Lance Reddick

Bungie has announced that Commander Zavala’s journey in Destiny 2 isn’t over and that his late voice actor, Lance Reddick, will be replaced by Keith David for the English language in the upcoming The Final Shape expansion and beyond.

“Earlier this year, we lost Lance Reddick, the English-language voice actor of Commander Zavala. The passion and professionalism Lance brought to the role over the last decade was unmistakable and loved by all,” Bungie said in a statement. “Lance’s iconic voice led us through the most intense moments in Destiny’s history and his impact on our Guardians, our community, and Bungie as a whole will never be forgotten.”

Bungie also confirmed that it wouldn't be re-recording Reddick’s existing lines, and that they'll remain untouched in the upcoming release.

An important update on the future of Commander Zavala's journey:

📰 https://t.co/jHSrxDQrLw pic.twitter.com/G4G1Vgtb7i

— Destiny 2 (@DestinyTheGame) August 10, 2023

Keith David has worked on many video games before, playing characters such as Arbiter Thel ‘Vadam in Halo 5: Guardians, Spawn in Mortal Kombat 11, and David Anderson in Mass Effect 3.

“I am honored to continue the great work of Lance Reddick as Zavala,” David added. “Lance captured the character's sense of integrity so wonderfully. It is my intention to continue that work.”

Reddick passed away earlier this year in March and Destiny 2 players gathered around Zavala to honor Reddick afterward. Reddick also played Sylens in both Horizon Zero Dawn and Horizon Forbidden West. To celebrate his legacy, PlayStation created a memorial for players to visit in Horizon Forbbiden West’s Burning Shores expansion.

George Yang is a freelance writer for IGN. He's been writing about the industry since 2019 and has worked with other publications such as Insider, Kotaku, NPR, and Variety.

When not writing about video games, George is playing video games. What a surprise! You can follow him on Twitter @Yinyangfooey

Continue reading...