What's new

Cyberpunk 2077 Players Can Lock Themselves Out of Phantom Liberty By Selecting Wrong Dialogue Option

Spoiler Warning: The following article includes minor spoilers for Cyberpunk 2077's Phantom Liberty expansion, mainly surrounding a decision in the fourth main mission: Lucretia My Reflection.

Cyberpunk 2077 players can very quickly lock themselves out of the game's one and only expansion, Phantom Liberty, by choosing the wrong dialogue option in-game.

As recorded in IGN's Cyberpunk 2077 Guide, the option to simply walk away from Phantom Liberty's main campaign comes during the mission Lucretia My Reflection as Idris Elba's Solomon Reed asks protagonist V of the mission: "is it worth it?"

"Know what, Reed? You're right," V will reply. "Somethin' real wonky 'bout this. I'm out." The other characters start sweating a little here, giving the player one last chance to select to continue the paid expansion. Even Johnny Silverhand chimes in to tell V this isn't a bluff.

By choosing, "Made my decision", however, V will opt to walk away from Reed's mission and leave Phantom Liberty behind. "Finally showin' me your true face," the character continues. "That the way of things? Hard pass from me then. If I gotta die, I'm not gonna die fightin' someone else's war."

The job flashes up as failed and the player is told to leave following some more disappointed dialogue. Exploring the new Dog Town area is still possible, and players can still do all the new Gigs and other bits of side content, but Phantom Liberty's main quest will be locked away until a new game is started. Players can read about this and all of Phantom Liberty's other Easter Eggs and References in IGN's guide.

Phantom Liberty arrived September 26, with the game-changing Update 2.0 laying its foundation a few days earlier. It completely revamped Cyberpunk 2077 with features such as a new perk system and improved AI and also brought closure to an Elon Musk fan theory, a reference to the late racing legend Ken Block, and bizarre additions to the game's biggest mystery.

All this caused a spike in Cyberpunk 2077's popularity on Steam, a number that only grew as players got their hands on Phantom Liberty. For all the best tips and tricks on how to navigate Dog Town, whether you're a new player, returning, or just rusty, check out IGN's Cyberpunk 2077 guide.

In our 9/10 review of the expansion, IGN said: "Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty completes an immense turnaround for CD Projekt Red's future RPG kickstarted with the anime spin-off, Cyberpunk: Edgerunners and its latest 2.0 Update."

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelance reporter. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...