What's new

Call of Duty Zombies Fans Fear the Worst After Treyarch Says Not to Expect New Perks or Enemy Types

Call of Duty’s latest Zombies mode is only three months old but fans now fear it’s “dead” after developer Treyarch indicated no new perks or enemy types are planned.

Popular Call of Duty content creator MrDalekJD tweeted to say that during a Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 Season 2 ‘Creator Call’, Treyarch confirmed “there are no plans for any new enemy types or new perks to come to Modern Warfare Zombies at any point.”

The news has caused a collective wave of disappointment to crash over the Call of Duty Zombies community, which had already feared the worst following a lack of content relative to Multiplayer and Warzone in the recently released Season 2.

“I feel robbed,” redditor scirvexz said in a post on the Call of Duty Zombies subreddit. “Seems that the mode is already starting to die,” said AssassinsCrypt. “I was still hoping they would have improved it in the future seasons, but seems that they actually don't care at all about this mode.” “I’ll probably just delete the entire mode from my console after Season 2 like I did for DMZ,” said SuccessLongjumping62.

It’s a similar sentiment across social media, where Zombies fans have signaled the end of Call of Duty’s famous co-op mode.

MWZ is dead and it will always be dead. The content won't be the same as the launch content at all. It's disappointing but it is what it is 🤷‍♂️

— Hybs (@Hybsx) February 7, 2024
They excited us with a game mode,they said it was the third best game mode in many years and now they let it die?I'm not going to buy the next game

— Toti (@Gastonalecufre) February 7, 2024
Not even surprised anymore. What a disappointment 🙁

— Dire dire docks (@direoutcome) February 7, 2024

The situation with Modern Warfare Zombies echoes that of DMZ, an extraction mode Activision moved on from after it launched with 2022’s Warzone 2.0.

The relentless pace of Call of Duty development and its annual release schedule mean there’s an army of Activision developers working on the first-person shooter franchise at all times, with each new mainline entry supposedly led by a different team each year. But last year’s Modern Warfare 3 marked a change in strategy, following directly on from Modern Warfare 2 just a year later.

Treyarch, best known for the Black Ops series and the creation of the Zombies mode, was drafted in to make Modern Warfare Zombies. It is now reportedly working on this year’s Call of Duty Black Ops Gulf War, which is expected to launch with a Zombies mode of its own. How long that will be supported remains to be seen.

Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at wesley_yinpoole@ign.com or confidentially at wyp100@proton.me.

Continue reading...