What's new

Bethesda Responds to Mick Gordon's Doom Eternal Allegations

Bethesda has responded to composer Mick Gordon’s detailed statement regarding his experiences working on Doom Eternal.

In a statement published online, Bethesda says Gordon’s account of Doom Eternal’s soundtrack development “both mischaracterized and misrepresented the team at id Software” and that Bethesda “Unequivocally support Marty [Stratton], Chad [Mossholder, audio designer] and the team at id Software.”

Bethesda adds that it “reject the distortion of the truth and selective presentation of incomplete ‘facts.’” You can read the company’s statement below.

In 2020 Doom Eternal executive producer Marty Stratton issued a public statement on the state of the Doom Eternal soundtrack and Gordon’s work with concerns over Gordon’s ability to deliver the finished product.

Two years later, Gordon published a lengthy response on Medium countering Stratton and alleging id Software failed to pay him for half the game’s soundtrack and that Stratton was an abusive presence that enforced crunch and declined to work with Gordon on solutions to the game’s development woes.

Gordon wrote, “I’ve had many great experiences in the game industry. My ‘collaboration’ with Marty Stratton wasn’t one of them.” Gordon added, “I never quit DOOM. I quit a toxic client.”

Gordon has a long history working with id on Wolfenstein and later an award-winning soundtrack for Doom 2016. Gordon is currently listed as the composer for the upcoming game Atomic Heart.

IGN has reached out to Gordon for a statement and will provide an update if one arrives.

Matt T.M. Kim is IGN's News Editor. You can reach him @lawoftd.

Continue reading...