What's new

Assassin's Creed Narrative Director Darby McDevitt Rejoins Ubisoft Ahead of Assassin's Creed Infinity

Darby McDevitt, who was the lead writer on such Assassin's Creed games as Valhalla, Black Flag, and Revelations, has returned to Ubisoft after leaving the company seven months ago to potentially work on Assassin's Creed Infinity.

As reported by VGC, McDevitt left the company in March 2021 to join iLLOGIKA as their narrative director and was working on the A Quiet Place game, which is set to be released in 2022.

It is yet unclear if his work was finished on the game or if he left before it was completed. Either way, he is back at Ubisoft to work on Assassin's Creed once more.

"Yes, I have returned to Ubisoft! As I pondered my career over the past year, I focused on my desire to explore new ideas and unknown frontiers," McDevitt said in a statement to VGC. “Much to my delight, this is reflected in my return to Ubisoft to work on AC. I’m excited to continue my journey. Stay tuned!”

While he didn't specifically mention it, there is a good chance he will be one of the key figures in bringing Assassin's Creed Infinity to life. Announced earlier this year, Assassin's Creed Infinity is a "cross-studio, collaborative" project between Ubisoft Montreal and Ubisoft Quebec.

Bloomberg reported that this new game will be an online platform that would evolve over time and include multiple historical settings - much like how games like Fortnite and Grand Theft Auto Online function. Not much more is known on the game, nor whether it will be the next entry following Assassin's Creed Valhalla.

For more, check out our ranking of the 10 Best Assassin's Creed games and our review of Valhalla's The Siege of Paris DLC.

Have a tip for us? Want to discuss a possible story? Please send an email to newstips@ign.com.

Adam Bankhurst is a news writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter
@AdamBankhurst and on Twitch.

Continue reading...